In this month's Google Webmaster report we had a lot of unconfirmed updates, specifically signs of an update around July 25th and then maybe a roll back on August 2nd, then some ranking tools going haywire. We also saw some large changes to the local ranking algorithm this month.
Google mentioned Penguin a few times this month. They also announced AMP is coming to core mobile search which may not be a good thing. Google defined impressions, clicks and positon in Search Analytics. Google also definitively said 3xx redirects don't lose PageRank and yes PageRank matters still.
In any event, the most important Google webmaster related posts are organized below. If you missed last month click here.
Google Algorithms & Updates:
- Google Update Brewing? Some Early Chatter & Signals.
- Google Algorithm Update? A Reversal Of Last Weeks Update?
- Google Update Signs From Trackers But The Community Is Quiet
- Google: We're Always Updating & Improving Our Search Algorithms
- Google Local Map Results Getting More Hyperlocal?
- Google Again Says Penguin Will Be Rolling Out But Won't Say When
- Q&A: Google, Will You Run Penguin Again? We Never Said We Won't Run It Again.
- Do You Think Google Will Run Penguin Again? Take Our Poll.
- Google: Penguin 4.0 Still Has Not Launched
- Google To Expand AMP To Main Mobile Search Results; Is That A Good Thing?
- Google Releases AMP Case Study But Here Are My Results
- Google Downgrades AMP Error Report For Structured Data Issues From Errors To Notes
- Google Defines Search Analytics Impressions, Position & Clicks
- Google: Any 3xx Redirect Does Not Lose PageRank At All
- Google's Gary Illyes: Yes, PageRank Still Matters
- Maybe Why Google Dropped Authorship As A Ranking Signal?
- Google Recommends Updating Links After Moving Domains But No Critical Loss
- Why Some Don't Believe Google About Redirects Not Diluting PageRank Signals
- Google: How They Treat Subdomains vs Subdirectories In 2016
- Google May Treat Expired Products Page Redirects As Soft 404s
- Is Stolen Content Outranking You? Tell Google About It.
- Google: Singular & Plural Words Can Be Different Keywords
- Google FAQs For HTTP To HTTPS Migration For News Publishers
- Google: We Won't Penalize For Emojis Or Symbols In Your Snippets
- Google On "Great Post" Comments; Should You Remove Them Or Keep Them?
- Google: First Build High Quality Content Then Worry About Web Spam Issues
- Google: Your Placement Won't Drop If Your Competitor Keeps Reporting You As Spam
- Google May Count Your Annoying Pop Up As Primary Content
- Google: Short Articles Won't Penalize Your Site; Think About Users
- Google: There Is No Penalty For Not Linking Out Externally
- Google: Disavow Links File Needs To Be On Canonical Version For Manual Actions
- Google : No Need To Disavow Links That Are No Longer Relevant To Your Site
- Google: Contact Information On A Web Site Is Not An Organic Ranking Signal
- Google Search Console Bug Reverified Email Bug; Google Says Don't Panic
- Google Still Showing Emojis In Search Results
- Google Adds Social Icons To The Local Knowledge Graph
- Google.com Begins HTTP Strict Transport Security Migration (HSTS)
- Google Tests Dropping Results Estimate?
- Google Testing Card Style Sitelinks
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.