RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #5382000963 at 05/13/2021 09:25 am:

Jacob Hurwith commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update Signals On May 13th

Thanks Barry!

Comment ID #5381871296 at 05/13/2021 06:56 am:

Malory Dale commented on Google Says Old Site Complain About New Sites; New Sites Complain About Old Sites

This is like comparing the difference between rich people and poor people as people that make 500k a year versus people that make 2 million or more a year, 500k a year isn't poor and new sites aren't sites that are already established

Comment ID #5381869382 at 05/13/2021 06:54 am:

Sure but to get to 30-40 DR still requires an enormous amount of those, content wont even get you to the starting line, and UX can be messed up, but seriously UX mostly has zero to do with that, UX becomes an issue when you are running 200k visitors a month and better UX converts more of that traffic, 3 visitors a day and you can just go ahead and unplug analytics for awhile...home page, content pages, product pages, buy now check out...its not rocket science.

Comment ID #5381868958 at 05/13/2021 06:53 am:

BushyTop commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

Some more movement this morning in the UK. We saw a slight dial back of the previous late April update during the posted update (may). This morning, it looks like more of the previous late april. So whatever every happened in early May, I think it was only temporary

Comment ID #5381865323 at 05/13/2021 06:48 am:

I think they are referring to an "old site" as one of these archaic sites without HTTPS that haven't added an article in 10 years, since we are all mostly seasoned SEO's our expectations are much too high. By outranking an old site they aren't referring to Etsy and Trip Advisor, they are referring to some URL you and I and everyone else has never heard of

Comment ID #5381861087 at 05/13/2021 06:42 am:

No Couch Potato commented on Google Says Old Site Complain About New Sites; New Sites Complain About Old Sites

I am talking about natural links. The kind that will only link to a site if it is seen as a well made source of information, not creating lots of cheapy links. That is what some SEOs did a lot of back in the earlier days. They may not carry as much influence as they once did but I believe good links still form part of the overall SEO strategy which includes as you say the onsite content.

Comment ID #5381855898 at 05/13/2021 06:35 am:

So by "New Site" I assume they refer to that as a site that is 5-7 years old with a DR+30-40. Against a 20 year old site with a DR of 50+ No new site can "rank" or even get traffic at all, and that is what everyone is complaining about "new sites" are advised to leave the internet like an unwanted guest. Thats why real "new sites" with low authority, require 2 weeks to index their content if they get indexed at all with their 100% unique 2500 word article maybe they just get the "discovered not indexed" line.. and skeleton pages from "authority sites" can get indexed in under 5 mins and are allowed to build real KW databases, natural links, and more authority.

Comment ID #5381792565 at 05/13/2021 04:42 am:

F5 WebStudio commented on Google Says Old Site Complain About New Sites; New Sites Complain About Old Sites

Many sites are ranked well without larger collection of natural authority links. SEOs focus on links instead of real factors. So, many SEOs do the same mistake. They "build links". Why? These SEOs could spend time and clients' money on content, research target audience, improvements of marketing and SEO strategy, social media marketing, UX design, content mapping instead. But these SEOs "build links". That is common process. Identify competitors from the SERP, using Ahrefs link blah-blah-blah tool, looking for super-duper outreach strategy (read Moz's blog, ask people on Reddit). In fact, they waste time and money. From our experience, minor changes in content and UX design guarantee growth of relevant traffic 100-150% in 3-4 months. Other SEOs also do these things. We face many SEOs who focus on marketing, content and UI/UX design of sites. These SEOs share their results because they achieve amazing results. They achieve amazing results without backlinks.

Comment ID #5381660016 at 05/13/2021 12:02 am:

J G. commented on Google Responds To DuckDuckGo's Claims Of Bias With Personalization

Came here after doing more research on duck duck go. I tried it out, and can absolutely say many search results were extremist, mostly far right, but also some far left. I read about something called "data voids?" While I know nothing about these sorts of things, I had to work fairly hard to find reasonable results. Lots of sifting through garbage. While I'm no google fan, I did have to remove duck duck go so I could at least get some research done in a reasonable amount of time. I am now getting news straight from sources like Politico, or BBC, or Washington Post, CBS news, or Wall Street Journal . . . The New York Times still adheres to real journalism, but they tend to lean left in many of their opinion pieces. (not all.) As far as research goes, I am pretty good at drawing parallels and using peer supported websites, especially scientific subjects. It takes time, but you can still find truth online, and with all of these search engines, even duck duck go. This single post is as far as I will ever get to social media. That is where the Devil plays....

Comment ID #5380938263 at 05/12/2021 12:38 pm:

snuffy commented on Google Says Old Site Complain About New Sites; New Sites Complain About Old Sites

That's what happens when a webmaster arrives at the battlefield 20 years late.

Comment ID #5380852748 at 05/12/2021 11:34 am:

I think in some cases it must make a difference. An old site is more likely to have a larger collection of natural links pointing to it. Some of those links may be authority type links that you can no longer obtain today but the old link still exists giving an advantage to the older site. New sites will struggle to emulate the link profile of a long standing site and therefore take a fair amount of time to outrank an older competitor.

Comment ID #5380657196 at 05/12/2021 08:58 am:

Monika Woods commented on Google's Pac Man Playable Logo

but if you need it to be muted, it works to wake the brain up. I have an hour commute home. I will play for about 5 minutes and it helps me wake up.

Comment ID #5380613281 at 05/12/2021 08:11 am:

Flo Bejgu commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

Hi Lynda, I had a quick look at your site and it is not too bad. I think you can definitely recover (some of) the lost traffic, so don't despair. But it's going to be a lot of work and it won't be instant. If your site goes up and down it might mean that is an edge case and they receive mixed messages regarding your site. I would personally look into your EAT, ads usage and would get external feedback from people not connected with you/your site that could give you some constructive criticism. We, as site owners, sometimes miss obvious things. So cheer up, and get back to work, you can do it! :)

Comment ID #5380458224 at 05/12/2021 05:36 am:

Andrew de Lisle commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

Comment ID #5380429435 at 05/12/2021 05:24 am:

Pete commented on Google Web Search & Local Search Ranking Algorithm Updates Over Weekend

We buy ads and have more than 200 five star reviews more than our closest competition that operate out of virtual offices and we were booted from the pick 3. Search Google for Houston translation services and take a look at what shows in the pick 3. 1 is a legitimate local business, but the other two are nationwide gmb violators using virtual offices and reviews from out of state. When do people who live in south America start shopping for translation services in Houston? It's not as if they have one or two this way, ever one is this way. This is crazy.

Comment ID #5379641130 at 05/11/2021 11:18 pm:

In Saitama commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

I used to be positioned above them though :-( Now I'm well below them. I've gone to page 2 even 3 for keywords I used to perform well in. Thank you so much for reaching out, I appreciate it.

Comment ID #5379528836 at 05/11/2021 08:56 pm:

jollerking commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

you should always know Google will always show tripadvisor pages in the 1st page

Comment ID #5379120970 at 05/11/2021 05:26 pm:

John commented on Google Search Console Insufficient HTTPS Coverage On Your Site Bug

My site has been underperforming for several weeks. How old is this? And could it be the culprit?

Comment ID #5378886247 at 05/11/2021 04:08 pm:

Michael commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

There is a lot going on here. I would map this out and really take your time with any site migration. I do this about once a month for folks and with so many moving parts, you need to be on the ball.

Comment ID #5378815403 at 05/11/2021 03:36 pm:

tezzjb commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

We have a domain that's almost 8 years old. Our Alexa Ranking is 2,465,060. Due to our rapid expansion, we are opening offices in different states. Additionally, instead of using brandname+state.com, we want to change our entire website to brandname.com. We reviewed all google guidelines; however, we don't know what will happen. Currently, our site has 25-35k monthly visitors as we have 900 pages and 45 locations. What do you all suggest? Will this cause a big drop? Will google penalize us for redirecting visitors? What is a possible solution for this? really appreciate feedback from experts.

Comment ID #5378690019 at 05/11/2021 01:54 pm:

2bbest commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

Interesting, is there an announcement regarding that? Or chatter?

Comment ID #5378347469 at 05/11/2021 09:08 am:

Schwerpunk commented on Internationalized Sites Even With Same English Content Not Always Treated As Duplicate Content By Google

<i>Google's been saying for years that there are no duplicate content penalties.</i> That's why I get almost angry when "duplicate content penalty" is mentioned somewhere, and especially when any so-called 'SEO specialist" is doing it. Duplicate content essentially makes it more difficult for Google to determine which page should rank / which one is considered canonical. That's basically all.

Comment ID #5378242813 at 05/11/2021 07:03 am:

I am just one woman managing a 13 year old local information / travel blog (Saitama, Japan). I have worked so hard on my site and many of my posts are completely unique - the only English language information available on the www. I took a huge dive in traffic the second week in April, it started to improve a little at the end of April. Then May 7th the downward spiral started again. But today - I just want to throw the towel in - traffic down a whopping<b>60+%</b> . Google SERP is a joke for keywords related to my site - even though my site is the only one with detailed info in English its returning skeleton posts from tripadvisor and the likes, with nothing but the place name and map. I just feel like crying

Comment ID #5378237598 at 05/11/2021 06:55 am:

jimmy commented on Google Explains Why Their Image Search Results Look Racist

If they were honest about this genocide on white people, they would get sent to The Hague court immediately

Comment ID #5378236870 at 05/11/2021 06:54 am:

jimmy commented on Google Explains Why Their Image Search Results Look Racist

Try the same search with duckduckgo

Comment ID #5378236406 at 05/11/2021 06:54 am:

jimmy commented on Google Explains Why Their Image Search Results Look Racist

Try searching for "happy white woman" on Duckduckgo vs Google. Google is outright lying, otherwise, why would Duckduckgo come up with the correct images?

Comment ID #5378235570 at 05/11/2021 06:52 am:

jimmy commented on Google Explains Why Their Image Search Results Look Racist

Look for "happy white woman" on Duckduckgo vs Google. Duckduckgo returns 100s of pictures of happy white women, while Google returns pictures of white women with black partners or marxist bs. why would Duckduckgo be able to deliver the right content where Google can't? The explanation Google is giving here is a blatant lie. They are just vehement racists.

Comment ID #5378204336 at 05/11/2021 06:01 am:

Obaid commented on Google Search Ranking Algorithm Tremors On May 7th & May 9th

Google is always changing things. and always going into the background you never know what is happening untill it's really happening in front of you. ups and downs in rankings is highly affected by how Google is translating your data

Comment ID #5378193749 at 05/11/2021 05:42 am:

Obaid commented on Google Search Console Insufficient HTTPS Coverage On Your Site Bug

I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I have a have been searching about the issue for few hours now.

Comment ID #5378190090 at 05/11/2021 05:36 am:

This has been moved to the summer.