RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #4288674938 at 01/16/2019 08:34 am:

Adam T. commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

It's nice to see people here with the same conclusion. So maybe it's time to stop discussing about this "Algo Update" thing. I don't thing there is much human intervention to the Google Algorithm with updates from outside. It's a machine learning process anf the Algo adjusts itselt accordingly rather than a update.

Comment ID #4288668226 at 01/16/2019 08:28 am:

Lyndon NA commented on Google Tests Ghost Town Like Search Results To Appease EU Directives

PMSL! :clap: clap: :clap:

Comment ID #4288592876 at 01/16/2019 07:21 am:

Tomasz Kwiatkowski commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Nice traffic I want one too :)

Comment ID #4288535528 at 01/16/2019 06:19 am:

Chris commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I have always thought that new sites/pages bounce around the SERP's to get some user data. I have had new pages rank 3rd/4th and if getting evaluated by others in my business I always ask for a click though rather than a bounce, as soon as this starts to happen I move up places..

Comment ID #4288467868 at 01/16/2019 04:52 am:

Rtalbot55 commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Enlighten us Jason...

Comment ID #4288454217 at 01/16/2019 04:37 am:

The Turth commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

Links in comments do not help you rank, Google ignores them, stop with the madness. A large group of SEOs from the Middle East do SEO like it is 2005.

Comment ID #4288385588 at 01/16/2019 02:58 am:

khethe aline commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

this is really an important point i am happy that you notice this. every one doing SEO and with these bad link they are ranked and the other who work correctly they are also the same. so it's good to differentiate between good and bad work.

Comment ID #4288382509 at 01/16/2019 02:53 am:

Grrrrr commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

They are clearly telling you it was about usability and user experience the fact that they removed the comments, not technical SEO, not SEO, not anything related to follow/nofollow/rankings etc. Stop over obsessing about SEO, Garry clearly said it was about UX, not SEO. Don't you get it? The spam caused bad UX, not bad rankings. Rankings or SEO have nothing to do with their decision.

Comment ID #4288342822 at 01/16/2019 01:50 am:

Sahith Krishna commented on Google Speed Update Now Rolling Out

my lighthouse numbers are way too bad and I think that's affecting my SEO. Can anyone suggest me what to do? exotel.com is the site

Comment ID #4288226115 at 01/15/2019 10:58 pm:

Maneuver Up Marketing commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

My take is that Google is testing random rehab websites to gather user exeprience data. This would expedite gathering enough statistical data to adjust the Algorithm for drug rehab. I've seen this for months now. One random website will rank for everything has no links, terrible content and definately commercial. Then a month later a new one. It's almost like they are trying to make s different algorithm for drug rehab.

Comment ID #4288160921 at 01/15/2019 09:44 pm:

Thaumaturgy commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

What a constructive, useful, valuable, informative comment.

Comment ID #4288025277 at 01/15/2019 07:35 pm:

AndrewOCo commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Definitely agree that user signals are key ranking factor across the board, and that the reason these sites cycle out of this strange universal #1 spot is likely because of poor user signals. However, I don't think that explains why these rehab sites are popping up to #1 and ranking for countless brand names in the first place. Even brand searches for Hazelden Betty Ford have randomly been overtaken by these sites. I don't see this behavior in any other vertical, but would be curious to hear about it. This could be an algorithmic intervention due to the industry pressure on Google, but such a *blunt* intervention, even if it's algorithmic, is very uncharacteristic of Google. No one is happy to see their brand name overtaken by some random lead gen site, and many have been furious that legitimate leads may be diverted from them. I really think this is an attempt at an intervention by Google that has gone horribly awry.

Comment ID #4287958463 at 01/15/2019 06:36 pm:

Deacyde do hurtin commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I think the testing of the websites as part of the algo, makes more sense, if a site is setup correctly and doesn't pull any " hidden tactics " it will serve the needs of the users Google puts in front of it, and therefor can be evaluated accordingly. I think that makes such sense, that it would be part of the core algo, I've been told a few times before, user metrics don't play a part in website ranking, but indirectly I don't believe that is correct, there is far too much value to be had, to discount how user's interact with the website, to discount that as a possible method of evaluation / ranking... And in an industry that's been put in front of congress, I would think that the quality would begin to factor more heavily than anything else.

Comment ID #4287950471 at 01/15/2019 06:30 pm:

Will commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Haha

Comment ID #4287942934 at 01/15/2019 06:24 pm:

I think you're spot on, with a possible alternative aspect as well, from the data our agency Dreamscape Marketing has seen managing SEO for many addiction treatment centers, the amount of site optimization is not always resulting in the expected SERPs improvement, on top of such, we see sites with hardly any backlink profiles, poor SEO optimization, rank number 1 or top 5 for tens of thousands of addiction industry related keywords, without having any keywords in content or site to garner such ranking. Almost like there is a traffic testing on more than just the algo level, possibly a way to look into lead gen call fraud as well. It certainly looks like A/B testing, even more so, when you factor in that, these new sites that suddenly move from page 3 to page 1, go back to their original location after an undisclosed amount of time. What better way to figure out the trash sites from the actual centers, give em traffic and see what they do with it, that's basically killing two birds with one stone...

Comment ID #4287926339 at 01/15/2019 06:10 pm:

Barry Schwartz commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Sounds good. Thank you.

Comment ID #4287924487 at 01/15/2019 06:08 pm:

JP commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I hope serountable gets deindexed again and all you wannabe seo dipshits go out of business

Comment ID #4287922008 at 01/15/2019 06:06 pm:

Adam Heaton commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

Deleted my comment as have had a rethink on this. I can see where you are coming from, their blog does technically say it is to help prevent blog spam, though obviously it's become much more than just for that.

Comment ID #4287917332 at 01/15/2019 06:02 pm:

JP commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I hope you all get sued you dumb fucks

Comment ID #4287840412 at 01/15/2019 05:05 pm:

Stupid Intelligent commented on Google Site Command For Redirected URL Shows The Origin URL

This is how it should be done. Old and new brand names should always be available - for search perspective at least. For bigger brands; the issue is even more important.

Comment ID #4287723887 at 01/15/2019 03:49 pm:

Will commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

These are not just competitive terms, these are terms that effect lives. This Google mistake causes people looking for treatment to fall prey to lead gen sites, that sell them to the highest bidder. This is what congress is looking into, sites like these. Google, is enabling them. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/8e9eec7087df072efa00886da6f6ea734e6d3b520478246a22a7a367f8800f30.png AndrewOCo is right.

Comment ID #4287713235 at 01/15/2019 03:42 pm:

Jackson Powell commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

This is spot on. I made the same conclusion after it started that it must have something to do with them coming under fire for making money off of shady rehab ads. Seems that it's back to SAMHSA hotline page now, which to me is better than these other lead generator sites.

Comment ID #4287636506 at 01/15/2019 02:55 pm:

Josh Zehtabchi commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

This sounds interesting - do you have a blog or website you can publish your findings? (if comfortable doing so)

Comment ID #4287600818 at 01/15/2019 02:33 pm:

AndrewOCo commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I've been watching this pseudo 'forced #1 ranking' (only in the addiction treatment SERPs) happening for about a year, and have collected a good amount of information/images. You are not wrong to post this story - it is not a one-off bug or anything nefarious that site is doing. This is definitely specific to the rehab category, it has happened with multiple sites (this one just happens to be the strangest and worst of them) and it has taken the #1 spot for almost every term related to rehab/addiction *including brand names that include neither term*. It appeared to be related to a Google update more than a year ago when Google was under fire for it's addiction treatment ads, and it began with a 'SAMHSA hotline' page taking nearly universal #1 rankings (again, including unrelated brand names). Please reach out to me at oconnor806@gmail.com and I can send you more historical info.

Comment ID #4287477265 at 01/15/2019 01:17 pm:

Adam T. commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

To me google's AI based new algo learns which site to rank on top by testing user behaviour for every single site - no matter old , new, high-rank etc. Every site is given a chance to rank for a short period so the algo could observe the user behaviour to determine if the site does worth to rank or not. This is the reason for high volatiity in Serps I think. We will see this for some time until the Algo finishes to evaluate the whole web.

Comment ID #4287353729 at 01/15/2019 12:02 pm:

Jason J. Duke commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

Earl Grey commented: "this is why what people say about seo makes no sense to me." It's because its not about SEO.

Comment ID #4287306322 at 01/15/2019 11:33 am:

Barry Schwartz commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

I don’t think you are getting the point.

Comment ID #4287211810 at 01/15/2019 10:33 am:

BlueTitan commented on The Fuzzy & Unstable Drug Rehab Google Search Results

I have experienced the same as well. I just sat on it and waited, and saw the same across several sites. One of which was ecommerce, the other Pharmacy.

Comment ID #4287172659 at 01/15/2019 10:08 am:

snuffy commented on Google's Nofollow Link Attribute Didn't Help Improve Blog Comments

"I spend around 20 minutes a day dealing with comment spam here, and we have good spam filters." Thank you, Barry, for doing this work for us. I appreciate not spending the time that a lot of rubbish comments can consume.

Comment ID #4287107617 at 01/15/2019 09:29 am:

chaboi_sora commented on Google Site Command For Redirected URL Shows The Origin URL

I think where this is a problem is when you're dealing with redirects on the same domain. I work on a site that has redirects from one page to another and I will see the source URL show up in Google Search, but not the destination URL. If we do a redirect (especially a 301), we're telling Google that the destination page is the URL we want users to see. Why wouldn't Google follow suit and show the destination URL in Google Search?