RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #4040143696 at 08/14/2018 02:48 pm:

sergei commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

I would think of working on my website if I see a real SERP not a mess that I see right now. And right now I see a lot of Quora, 3-4 links from the same websites and lots of forbidden forums. I started to get more and more traffic from BING in a past 4 days. Never got a customer before. I think people just cant find what are they looking for with Google.

Comment ID #4040125259 at 08/14/2018 02:38 pm:

Sherry Tingley commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

I haven't researched Prevention.com other than to discover that it went from 5.4 million visitors a month to 1.7 million because of the Medic update. That is a huge loss. So we should be able to learn something from it in figuring out what this update is all about. The site is owned by Hearst Communications which claims a revenue of 10.8 billion dollars. I listed it as a company that lost significantly in this last update.

Comment ID #4040044089 at 08/14/2018 01:55 pm:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Example?

Comment ID #4039985132 at 08/14/2018 01:22 pm:

Lyndon NA commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

Erm - the poll is negative focused. Plenty of us didn't get a negative - pages/terms stayed roughly the same, or some went up a smidgen (or other peoples went down?). Nothing to fix :D (Obviously I'll be doing (1), (3), (7), regardless :D)

Comment ID #4039892064 at 08/14/2018 12:34 pm:

Andy Simpson commented on Video: Google Medic Update, Local Ranking Update, Google Search Console Data, Google Signals, Bing Search & More

"GoogleGuy", that's going back a few years Barry!

Comment ID #4039891985 at 08/14/2018 12:34 pm:

Oleg Korneitchouk commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

That's why I added "The Expert Authority You Can Trust" to all of my titles/headings and saw rankings skyrocket

Comment ID #4039880114 at 08/14/2018 12:28 pm:

Sydni Sticht commented on Google Project Beacon - Were You Mailed A Google Beacon?

We are a wholesale golf-wear company (Sun Mountain sports) that does not need foot traffic at all. Should I send this device to one of our distributors?

Comment ID #4039862543 at 08/14/2018 12:19 pm:

IvanDrago commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Is that an example of a "good" site??

Comment ID #4039826919 at 08/14/2018 12:00 pm:

Just saying commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

When you see only better sites above you fine, no problem, but when more than a few have got all the old 1990's on-page spam tactics going on (and stay up there for year after year after year) while you do the right thing, that does kind of suck, to be fair to Sherry (and a few million others). It is what it is though! :)

Comment ID #4039790393 at 08/14/2018 11:41 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Your suggested "change" was to have big brother step in and save your bacon. I don't consider that an acceptable change. This update was nothing like Panda/Penguin. There was no filter...websites did not get "demoted" or penalized. Factors and weights got changed, and your competition rose above you. You may have been doing everything right, and the only actionable thing you can do is to keep doing what you were doing - just more of it. Hence why Google can not tell you specifically what to fix. There is nothing to fix. Hence why, "Do better" is about the best advice you can get.

Comment ID #4039788626 at 08/14/2018 11:40 am:

Jacek Ru┼╝yczka commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Some news portals (but only a minority of them) seem to have also been affected by the Medic update. I haven't found any correlation between the respectability of a portal, and its change in search engine visibility: In fact, even some typical tabloid news sites gained > 20% in rankings, whereas "serious" portals (both local, and national) did lose quite a lot. Maybe it's not just E-A-T, which counted here, but also the ads-to-main-content-ratio. One news portal from our vicinity, which lost 23% last week, isn't exactly "ugly" or known for speculative content, but did a lot of on-page SEO including "tweaking" all major articles by SEO experts. Maybe this was the cause for their drop.

Comment ID #4039784153 at 08/14/2018 11:38 am:

Dragon commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

I mean, to be realistic this just looks like a pro-major corporation update which prefers "trusted brands" i.e. the big dogs above the small fries. Is there anything you can do? Maybe, but I don't know that the above methods will help honestly.

Comment ID #4039768829 at 08/14/2018 11:30 am:

Do better is not what they said after the Penguin or Panda updates. It was targeting specific things. I'm not asking for hand holding either. As for your sink or swim industry comment - complaining about things is exactly what produces change. It has nothing to do with sinking or swimming. Anyway Adam, I think you are just wanting to be critical so I won't be continuing any conversation here. Good luck with your business.

Comment ID #4039764828 at 08/14/2018 11:28 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

You can have successful online businesses without Google as a touchpoint. I know this because I have them and know others that do. If you want to bolster your organic channels, then yes, Google is the biggest player. But nobody is forcing you to rely on organic channels.

Comment ID #4039758848 at 08/14/2018 11:25 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

The reason why "do better" is a great answer is because there are far too many variables for each and every website to give any specific answers to help. "Doing better" forces the webmaster to look at what, if anything, they can do to help their website rise relative to their competition. Nobody is going to hold your hand and give you specifics or actionable tasks that will bring results. It's a sink or swim industry, and complaining about it only drowns you further.

Comment ID #4039745285 at 08/14/2018 11:18 am:

Tadeusz Szewczyk (Tad Chef) commented on Google Can't Recommend SEOs To Hire; Conflict Of Interest

Google recommends SEOs all the time by selling them Google Partner badges. What about that? Even the highest ranking agency for [seo] alleges a special relationship to Google. It's on #5.

Comment ID #4039743322 at 08/14/2018 11:17 am:

I didn't tell you to diversify. I was pointing out that that wasn't really an answer either. I'm not looking for easy answers here. I don't believe that "doing better" is the solution either. Many people don't even know what it is that they need to "do better" at. Prevention.com lost in this update as well as a lot of good sites that had great content.

Comment ID #4039743143 at 08/14/2018 11:17 am:

peristilo commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Don't you understand that Google is in the way of many business? That people are not relying on Google; they only want to have an online business; nobody cares about Google. It only happens that Google is a big blackhole that sucks in a huge portion of the online traffic. It's not a matter of choice. People keep giving me advise to not rely on Google, as if my website could survive without being visited. Please, give us a break!

Comment ID #4039703570 at 08/14/2018 10:55 am:

Kes commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

People are making better websites. Google raises the bar. Get on the bus

Comment ID #4039698361 at 08/14/2018 10:52 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

I'm not sure if you're asking a question or giving advice? I don't need advice, and certainly don't need to be told to diversify - so you're barking up the wrong tree. If you're looking for help on what to do next, there is no easy answer. Take Barry's advice below and "do better." =)

Comment ID #4039685056 at 08/14/2018 10:46 am:

Well Lee. What do you suggest? All we do is take it year after year.

Comment ID #4039681747 at 08/14/2018 10:44 am:

What is your answer? Do you want to do this the rest of your business life? Because that is the way this is looking. Diversify and make yourself so successful in other niches that - opps - we can absorb this loss no problem.

Comment ID #4039679466 at 08/14/2018 10:43 am:

Justin Snyder commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

Those "fixes" are all so 2012. Something changed August 1 and it wasn't any of these. It seems Marie Haynes pegged it almost immediately that it was E-A-T, or a lack thereof.

Comment ID #4039667666 at 08/14/2018 10:36 am:

Richard commented on Poll: How Are You Going To Fix Your Google Medic Update Problems?

Another option - I guess you forgot to add this one to the poll: o Cry helplessly over your keyboard as you try to choke out the words "Why does Google hate me? WHY?!"

Comment ID #4039666485 at 08/14/2018 10:36 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Uh...yea, no. More government involvement into business is exactly what we don't need. You chose to rely on Google for your income, nobody forced you. Google certainly didn't. If your business can't weather a simple Google update - regardless of how large/small it is - this is not the field for you. If you truly have 11 years of experience with G updates, this is a concept you should be well aware of and well versed to handle.

Comment ID #4039625517 at 08/14/2018 10:14 am:

johnny F commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

"Google Medic update was pretty big and Google's advice is there is no fix." Translated for the small business website owners We have indexed all your content without your permission and sucked you dry for all the website information you publish and wrapped ad's around all your hard work. As a thank to all the web masters we depend on to run our ad network we at Google have made the decision to screw you over. Its all about power and greed people. Have a nice day. Love Google!

Comment ID #4039602432 at 08/14/2018 10:00 am:

Lee Colbran commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

Sherry, perhaps those affected should diversify their marketing. There are other options other than Google. Legislation, really? I've heard it all now.

Comment ID #4039594579 at 08/14/2018 09:56 am:

Adam commented on Don't Flat Line After The Google Medic Update: Work Harder

It is brutal. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment ID #4039582951 at 08/14/2018 09:49 am:

Matt commented on Google Video Carousels Showing Less Often Now, Which Is Good

Good. Now if we could only get SEOs to complain about all the other crap Google adds to their results, maybe they'd remove them as well!

Comment ID #4039574744 at 08/14/2018 09:45 am:

I'm sorry. I thought this was a discussion group rather than a group that pounces on ideas as being ridiculous.