RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #2503402753 at 02/08/2016 06:39 pm:

Ed Burckhardt commented on Google Spammy Structured Markup Manual Actions Spike Because Of WordPress Recipe Plugins

Thank you Lana, great reply. What you described is what we have been doing with all our HTML sites for quite a while. However, WP is fairly new to us, I like to play it safe by asking others.

Comment ID #2503335274 at 02/08/2016 05:49 pm:

Michael Martinez commented on Google Spammy Structured Markup Manual Actions Spike Because Of WordPress Recipe Plugins

Offer feedback to the plugin developers, asking them to make their options available on a per page basis. Some of them may offer you a "pro" version of their plugins that have that kind of functionality. Remember that plugin developers give away a lot of useful features for free but someone has to maintain that code. Sometimes they save the most reasonable implementation for a paid version.

Comment ID #2503297585 at 02/08/2016 05:23 pm:

Lana Stankovic commented on Google Spammy Structured Markup Manual Actions Spike Because Of WordPress Recipe Plugins

Many of those WP plugins are just horrible. And I did notice numerous websites with over optimized rich snippets, especially Wordpress websites with low quality content. I am against using it on a regular basis, even if it wouldn't cause penalty. Why would you structure complete website data? Makes no sense at all. Use rich snippets on your product pages, to highlight ratings, reviews and product data, and that is it. If your website has quality content and unique descriptions, rich snippets will help your business. If not, you can put it on every single page and it will not help you at all. It can even get you penalized, as we see from above.

Comment ID #2503203518 at 02/08/2016 04:28 pm:

Nick Ker commented on Webmasters Noticing More AppleBot Activity From Apple

"Search Different"

Comment ID #2503169354 at 02/08/2016 04:08 pm:

I've been very hesitant to use any of the plugins for schema. However, I know I need to use the structured mark up. Is it better to hand code it? Any suggestions for a safe and effective plugin? Help is appreciated, thanks.

Comment ID #2502932649 at 02/08/2016 01:52 pm:

mojoneill commented on Google Says Rich Snippets Generally Not For Your Home Page

> Overuse, misapplication and abuse led Google to pull authorship... I agree with this sentiment (paraphrased above). I also suspect that all the structured authorship markup helped with the machine learning, to the point where explicit markup wasn't generally needed anymore for Google to associate author with content. I wonder if we'll see schema.org markup go the same way in the future... As Google gets better and better at identifying the elements we're currently using schema to describe, will we see the need for explicit semantic markup reduced?

Comment ID #2502749491 at 02/08/2016 12:11 pm:

Kristine S commented on Google's John Mueller: 302 Redirects Pass PageRank

Matt stated after a session at Pubcon that all 302s are treated as 301s after about 6 months give or take, which makes sense since they are supposed to be temporary and the 302 should not be used as a long term solution.

Comment ID #2502638156 at 02/08/2016 11:07 am:

SamuelTSteiner commented on Google Investigating Polish Hacker Who Is Stealing Webmaster Traffic

Its an exploit. Will be patched after every hacker on the planet jumps on it and literally billions in damage is done. Lets just hope they also reroll so the sites that go hit early can recover too. And this is why there will never be an A.I. Any program is stupid and can be exploited no matter how much time you invest into it. Technological Singularity good luck with that. We dont even understand the human brain. How are we ever going to create the silicon equivalent.

Comment ID #2502531936 at 02/08/2016 09:59 am:

DaniMaster commented on Google Investigating Polish Hacker Who Is Stealing Webmaster Traffic

That true, after the attack original website don't come back into the same keyword ranking, but remain the ranking for the brand name, We saw the following attack: Attacker site is using revers proxy to copy our site, when we found the hack we saw the following. 1) Google is ranking the attacker site in same keyword position, where we was before. 2) Google cache on the attacked domain is pointing to our domain. 3) Attacker site is fully copying our site and url structure. 4) In one point the are using redirects to send all traffic to the Ads network and make money. We tried to block his IP in the server level and where able to verify the attacker domain in Google webmaster tool and tried to specify the new domain , what is our domain. Attacker domain is disappeared from rankings, but our domain did not come back.

Comment ID #2502484943 at 02/08/2016 09:24 am:

asdf commented on Google Investigating Polish Hacker Who Is Stealing Webmaster Traffic

You have to remember... google is the arms dealer pretending to be the police. They aren't actually here to protect and serve and have no mandate to do so. As the google fanboys have pointed out time and time again on this forum Google isn't obligated to do the right thing in terms of fairness or justice, and they probably won't. Frustration and confusion for webmasters is likely very lucrative for them.

Comment ID #2502468382 at 02/08/2016 09:12 am:

Lel commented on Google Investigating Polish Hacker Who Is Stealing Webmaster Traffic

Pity, company that have the most computing power on Earth cant recognise duplicates depending on time appeared in serp..

Comment ID #2502318532 at 02/08/2016 07:04 am:

BushyTop commented on Google Offers FAQ On HTTP To HTTPS Migration

I did, but he woo'd me with his charisma, so we just ended up talking about his favourite restaurants and how he likes to run his baths

Comment ID #2502238827 at 02/08/2016 05:34 am:

Ryan Carson commented on Google To Block Sites With Deceptive Download Buttons

I'm glad that they've finally got around to this, hopefully this will help prevent the spread of malware.

Comment ID #2502171608 at 02/08/2016 04:00 am:

David commented on Google To Block Sites With Deceptive Download Buttons

Two words: Ads and revenue... That's all they care about. Many sites deveive you by showing the spam buttons above the actual download buttons.

Comment ID #2502110132 at 02/08/2016 02:25 am:

Tom commented on Google To Block Sites With Deceptive Download Buttons

I downloaded something from CNET - Download.com. I always thought this was a prette legit source for some freeware - trial software. It gave me mallware. I was like WHAAT? Why would Cnet do this to their brand. Why would they share spammy downloads with their audience. And I was aware of the fake download buttons, they are annoying as hell. I like this Google update, can't wait for these scammy sites to burn in hell.

Comment ID #2501841510 at 02/07/2016 09:06 pm:

Ken Hirooka commented on Google Japan Slaps Japanese Link Networks & Link Buyers With Penalties

As the original article tells “ikutuka-no (=some) website network”, it seems that multiple networks are targeted. Here’s the article I translated. I hope it helps you. ============================================ Imposed sanction on link program networks 02/05/2016 We're working on with many projects to serve users better search results. One on them is to regulate Webmaster Guidelines and impose sanctions on websites violating it. We imposed sanctions on some website networks in Japanese which took part in link program and trafficked links to manipulate search results. In some cases, we imposed more severe sanctions on websites which has repeated violating Webmaster Guidelines. As we have already noticed, in some cases violation of Webmaster Guidelines is done without being noticed by the webmaster of the website. It can be done by SEOs as we’ve introduced, and it also can be caused by outsourcing advertisement or other works. To prevent such unintentional violations, we strongly recommend webmasters to check what your partners do regularly. Google keeps on working to make users’ search experience better. Posted by Azusa Nagasaki on behalf of Google Search Quality Team ============================================

Comment ID #2501709050 at 02/07/2016 06:48 pm:

Pedro Matias commented on Google: Keywords In URLs A Small Ranking Factor

If you divide 1 page by 200+ by factors, each factor's impact is 0.005 or less ;-)

Comment ID #2500824855 at 02/07/2016 06:43 am:

Obonyo Dern commented on Google AdSense Offering Live Chat Support

can i still resume and work with this or it's an end of it? please advise

Comment ID #2500824156 at 02/07/2016 06:42 am:

Obonyo Dern commented on Google AdSense Offering Live Chat Support

hi please help me, am new with adsense using blogger and my blog not displaying the ads claiming i have changed my time zone which i din't do. my payment is on hold from that day and my account and displays comment as hosted account. any help please?

Comment ID #2499879043 at 02/06/2016 02:49 pm:

AutismDadd commented on Google Says Links In Footers Or Sitewides Are Not Given That Much Weight

WHOA so profound.

Comment ID #2499301752 at 02/06/2016 07:58 am:

Steve Bell commented on How Googlers Wait For The Bus

Man, that is a sad photo. I feel bad for those kids!

Comment ID #2499258895 at 02/06/2016 07:06 am:

John Dalton commented on Google's Black Bar Home Page Is For Older Browsers

The new google home page needs more clicks to get key functions like maps. How do we get back the black toolbar with "new" browsers?

Comment ID #2498599620 at 02/05/2016 07:13 pm:

Jack commented on Google Sitemap Index Count Drop Is A Bug

I am not sure if this is a bug. It has still not recovered till this day. How can I report this?

Comment ID #2498578890 at 02/05/2016 06:54 pm:

Jack commented on Google Search Console Index Status Count Sudden Drop After August 16th

I have been seeing sudden drops from Jun 28, 2015 to July 5, 2015 and then again on the above mentioned date August 16 to August 23 and have never recovered. It dropped all the way from 376K to 133K pages and decreasing even thought I have user creating pages every day and they are not getting indexed. Please help.

Comment ID #2498499309 at 02/05/2016 05:51 pm:

butterpants commented on Google Maps Murder At 52.376552,5.198303 In Netherlands

The grass would have blood stains also, but its green

Comment ID #2498494504 at 02/05/2016 05:47 pm:

Probably from a trail of water from the dog swimming allday, or kids. Look to the right of the guy in the blue shirt... what do you think those wet prints coming out of the water? And what do dogs do when they get wet? Shake it off! The doxks woood is probably so sunbleached that when its wet , it shows its natural color with water to magnify or enhance the woods color.... ever see sun bleached cedar get wet? It looks red. Why would cedar be used? It's a good wood that doesn't rot as easily as pine or other woods.

Comment ID #2498483404 at 02/05/2016 05:38 pm:

Ladislav Laci commented on Google: Definitely Put A Nofollow On Web Design By Links

I definitely and again definitely agree.

Comment ID #2498478068 at 02/05/2016 05:36 pm:

Hi, I am also working with SEO and I was very curious how does these links affect SEO. Couple of minutes ago I was commenting a similiar blog: I was checking, how does a footer link poiting to a certain web affect the seo(of the site, which this link is pointing to). I also made a little experiment and lot of searches. There is one web site in the IT field offering one kind of software which appears in the top 3 positions in Google everytime you put their page title name to Google (their H1 tag is the same as page title). I was checking sites linking to them via more SEO tools and found out, that only 5 domains are linking to them with links on all subpages(as these links are in the footer). My second liitle experiment was on a site which was offering products, an eshop. This site was in the top 3 on Google on every main keywords they have on their site. Also checked their backlinks. About 25000. From couple of domains. So I tried it on my own. I had an eshop page with 4000+ pages and 3 other web sites with 30-40 pages in the similiar field. I put a link in the footer of the eshop site to all of these 3 websites with different Anchor texts. The result is that one of these is in the top 5 on google when I put the main keyword, which I am targeting it on Google. Second one is after 3 days after google visited the eshop page on the 12th page (previously smth around 35) and the third one is on 11th page. So my opinion is that the number of the links (the natural ones are the best of course) poiting to your website is the aplha and omega. (for sure you must have a good onsite optimisation as well). Of course you must use different anchor texts on different domains.

Comment ID #2498388928 at 02/05/2016 04:45 pm:

Trent Blizzard commented on Google Adding A Trusted Verifier Program To Verify Businesses In Person

I have been working with the "trusted verifier" program the last few weeks and it is delightful. In my case, our local library (Garfield County Public Library) is the trusted verifier and the librarian has a special Google Login where they can get G+ accounts verified in 1-2... Google has partnered with the library to teach local businesses how to do their G+ pages ... I teach the class and the librarian walks around the room and gets the attendees verified right there during the class. Pretty cool. Here is a link to the library's program: gcpld.org/gybo.

Comment ID #2498237599 at 02/05/2016 03:29 pm:

PenguinAssholes commented on Google Japan Slaps Japanese Link Networks & Link Buyers With Penalties

Who Cares run the damn Penguin you Assholes