This week on the search engine roundtable, we cram tons of topics into 20 minutes. The Google MayDay update has been officially confirmed by Google's Matt Cutts as a ranking algorithm change mostly impacting low quality sites on long tail keywords. Google launched their SSL search, as expected and it does strip out referrers. Google Alerts tweaked their matching algorithm based on quality metrics. The lost links in Yahoo Site Explorer is now back. Google dropped the estimated results and time to return results from the UI. Google News it testing a new user interface. Google is testing pink backgrounds on AdWofds ads and someone said there is a new UI for the display URL. Google revealed they share 68% of the revenue earned on the content network with AdSense publishers. AdWords added ad extensions to the AdWords console. Google Maps finally released official documentation on handling duplicate listings. Google Analytics lets people not share their info with webmeisters and webmeisters to drop off IP information. Matt Cutts said he won't come to WebmasterWorld due to their no URL policy and then Brett Tabke outed him as the legendary GoogleGuy. Doodle 4 Google winner logo was posted on Wednesday and the PacMan interactive Doodle was posted Friday through Saturday. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google May Day Update Confirmed, Our Fourth Post
- Something Is Up (Or Down) With Google's Search Algorithm
- Google SSL Search Is Here
- Google Alerts Tweaks Quality Algorithm: Less Alerts Go Out
- Links Return To Yahoo Site Explorer
- Google Not Showing Number Of Results & Return Time
- Google News Test Another New Design
- Google Testing Pink Background For AdWords Ads?
- Google AdWords Display URL Before Ad Description On Featured Ads
- AdSense Publishers Earn 68% of Revenue Says Google
- Google AdSense Now Displaying Revenue Share in AdSense Console
- AdWords Adds Ad Extensions Tab To Interface
- Google Maps New Documentation On Merging Duplicate Business Listings
- Google Analytics Enables Opt Out & IP Anonymizing
- Google's Matt Cutts Says He Doesn't Come To WebmasterWorld Due To No URL Policy
- Matt Cutts Outed Again As GoogleGuy?
- Doodle 4 Google: The Rainforest Habitat Google Logo By Makenzie Melton
- Google Keeps PacMan Logo Live & Adds Mute