It was a crazy week, but honestly, I think this may be one of my best videos, so please have your friends watch it as well. Note, I am offline Monday and Tuesday but hope to schedule stories. This week I discuss the confusion with Google's search results due to all the updates that overlapped. We had the Exact Match Domain (EMD) update on Friday, September 28th. We also had a Panda algorithm update released between Thursday, September 27th through this weekend. We even had an image update over last weekend. It is just way to confusing for webmasters. That being said, why didn't the Google search quality update announcement mention any of these updates? Google released more detailed and comprehensive webmaster guidelines. AJ Kohn shared some really interesting insights into Google authorship markup and how they change the search results. Google told us that your Google authorship won't impact sites across properties. Google is retiring AdSense for fees, Google News badges, Google custom backgrounds, +1 reporting in Webmaster Tools and much more. Why oh why does the Senate equate SEO with scam? 87% said ODP has little impact on rankings. 54% feel FeedBurner will be killed off soon. Facebook reached over 1 billion active users, that is about 20% of the world. Sassi Bob did a video about a story I wrote on Wikipedia. She is cute but completely wrong. Although she made this video a heck of a lot better, don't you think (let me know in the comments). That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google EMD Update: Exact Match Domains No Longer Rank As Well
- Cutts: Google Launched Another Update During The EMD Update (i.e. Panda 20)
- 20th Google Panda Algorithm Update: Fairly Major
- How Do You Know If Google Panda Or EMD Hurt Your Site?
- Google Image Search Ranking Update
- Google's 65 Search Updates For Aug & Sep Is Missing Updates
- What's New & Important With Google's New Webmaster Guidelines
- Google Author Benefits: Extra Links, More Visibility & Easy
- Google: No Impact On Ranking Based On Linkage Of Google Profile
- Google Kills News Badges, Background Images, AdSense For Feeds & Webmaster Tools +1s
- When Will It Be Politically Incorrect To Associate SEO With Scam?
- 87% Says ODPs Don't Overly Matter For Rankings
- 54% Say FeedBurner Will Be Shut Down Within 12 Months
- 1 Of 7 People In The World Is On & Active On Facebook
- Sassi BoB On Why Search Data Should Be Public