I was offline last week, so I am doing two weeks of search news in this one video. I quickly recap the Google webmaster report for September and then go into some unusual Google updates. We spotted three updates, major ones, in the past 4 weeks or so, one on August 21st, another on September 4th and another on September 12th - Google wouldn't confirm any of them. Google has done a major update to the linkage data they let webmasters export, this is a big deal guys. Google promised to give us a years worth of search query data, up from ninety days. Google said the obvious, using the disavow can hurt you. Google called a dmoz link unnatural by accident and almost admitted they made a mistake on another link. I am totally confused on if Google requires actions on all webmaster tools web spam notifications or not. Google will use unlinked URLs as an indexing and discovery tool. Google is launching a new white top bar navigation, and I like it. Google is testing linking to other local search engines. Bing is testing deep links in the search box as well as sub-deep links in the main search results. Google AdWords tests a new mobile ad format. AdWords also has a new way to import offline conversions. AdSense is also testing a new ad format, whiter, rounded, animated. Google Alerts broughtt back the RSS subscription option. Google Glass updated their software adding video, news, sound and more search features. Yahoo launched their new logo. YouTube updated their video player. That was the past two weeks of search news via the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- September 2013 Google Webmaster Report
- Google Update Reports Again: September 12th
- Reports Of Another Google Update : September 4th
- Google's Link Report Now Much More Representative Of Your Links To Your Site
- Google: Alright, We Will Give You One Year Worth Of Top Search Queries In Webmaster Tools
- Google: The Link Disavow Tool Can Harm Your Site's Performance
- Google Calls DMOZ Link Unnatural By Mistake
- Google Almost Admits Making A Mistake Regarding Natural Links
- Every Google Manual Action Impacts Your Site Or Pages On Your Site
- Take That Back: Not Every Manual Action Must Be Acted On...
- Google: Unlinked URLs Use For Discovery But Not Ranking
- Google To Launch New Top Navigation: White Top & Box Bar
- Google Offering Links To Yell, Yelp, 118.com & Other Local Search Providers
- Bing Deep Links Directly In Search Box
- Bing's New Sub Deep Links
- Google AdWords New Ad Format Labeled "Ad"
- Google AdWords Conversion Import Tracks Offline Sales
- Google AdSense New Formats: Blue Circle Arrows & Cleaner Spaced Ads
- Two Months Later, Google Alerts RSS Option Returns
- Google Glass XE9 Snagged My "How Do I" App With "How To" Video Results
- Do You Like The New Yahoo Logo?
- YouTube Player Updated With Cleaner Features