There is tons of important stuff taking place this week in the SEO space, so I ran through as much of it as I could in a short period of time. First, Google did their second PageRank update in a single month. Google also updated their image search algorithm and filter. Google Webmaster Tools is showing a lot more linkage data due to Caffeine. They also now allow a single Sitemap file for all content types. But some of the news sites in Google Webmaster Tools are slow to show new data. Google is mixing up 301 and 302 redirects. Google killed the IE output, killing Scroogle. GoogleBot is slow and fast, acting very sporadic these days. Don't use the meta refresh redirect said Google. Matt Cutts says never use the nofollow for internal links. BingBot is replacing MSNBot on October 1. Bing releases more advanced search operators. AdWords related ads can infringe on trademarks. BP got away with AdWords display URL violation. AdWords now shows merchant ratings in some cases. Google News was redesigned, many users hate it but Google will keep it. China and Google go at it again, I think Google did something lame. Google bought ITA and hopes to take over the travel industry. Happy Canada Day to our Canadian users and we showed off another Doodle this week. That was this past week's news at the Search Engine Roundtable.
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Second June 2010 Google PageRank Update
- Google Image Search Update : June 2010
- Google Says New Links In Webmaster Tools Are Correct & Will Grow
- Google Webmaster Tools Reporting Inflated Link Counts
- Google Sitemaps Now Allows One File For All Formats
- Google Webmaster Tools Reporting Slow For New Sites
- Google Confusing 301 Redirects?
- Google Kills 100 Result Output Page? Scroogle Taken Down Again
- GoogleBot Acting Weird
- Google "Strongly" Recommends Not Using Meta Refresh Redirects
- Google's Matt Cutts Says Again, Don't Use Nofollow For Internal Links
- BingBot Is Coming, BingBot Is Coming: Bye MSNBot
- Bing Releases Advanced Query Guide: SEOs Take A Look
- Google Pushing Competitors Via Related AdWords Ads
- BP's Google AdWords Ad Goes Against Display URL Guidelines
- Google AdWords Showing Seller Rating For Highly Rated Merchants
- Google News Redesign Now Live : Do You Like It?
- Users Revolting Over Google News, Google Doesn't Care
- Google China Now a Fake Search Box Page, Directing Users To Hong Kong
- Google To Take Over Airline Booking Industry, Buys ITA
- Happy Canada Day From Google & Bing
- Google Doodle For Antoine de Saint-Exupery's 110th Birthday