This week in search I covered a lot more around the Google Penguin 4.0 launch. The impact five days after its launch was minimal to ay the least. The recoveries supposedly started on Wednesday afternoon and will take a few days to roll out. The algorithm probably rolled out in part before the 23rd and then in several parts after. Penguin 4.0 is real time but also it devalues versus demotes and I get into those details. Google said Penguin 4.0 was one of their nicest launches. Google said expect one thing, that Google will continue to have the search results change. Google began showing AMP results on desktop by accident and it broke the web for an hour or more. Google told SEOs to stop fussing about redirects. Google said the app indexing ranking boost is still in play even with AMP around. Google added science datasets to the structured data support. Google is showing green checkmarks emojis in the search results. Google said at SMX they restricted the keyword planner because of bad actors, did he mean SEOs? Google AdWords has a new site links format they are testing. Google My Business added recommendations for hiring third parties. Google My Business updated their API. Google’s I’m Feeling Lucky button is broken. Google celebrated their 18th birthday this week. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google Penguin 4.0 Update Impact Seems Minimal
- Google: Penguin Recoveries Rolling Out Now Over Next Few Days
- Google May Have Rolled Out Penguin 4.0 Before Its Launch Date
- Parts Of Google Penguin 4.0 Rolled Out Prior To 9/23
- Google Penguin Doesn't Really Need Disavow Files - Devalues vs Demotes
- Gary Illyes: Google Penguin 4.0 Was One Of Our Nicest Launches
- Google: You Can Expect More Algorithm & Ranking Changes
- Google Showing AMP Results On Desktop Results
- Google: Redirects Are Not An SEO Thing, So Stop Fussing
- Google: App Indexing Ranking Boost Still Valid Regardless Of AMP
- Google Quietly Adds Science Datasets Structured Data & Schema Support
- Google Displays Green White Check Mark Emoji In Search Results
- Google Keyword Planner Restrictions Due To "Bad Actors"
- Google AdWords Sitelinks New Linear Format
- Google My Business Adds Recommendations For Working With Local SEOs
- Google My Business API Version 3.1 Live
- Google's I'm Feeling Lucky Button Stops Working
- Google's 18th Birthday Doodle: When Is Google's Birthday