It was a busy week in search. Bing announced that they are now re-ranking search results based on your Facebook friend's likes. Bing also dropped the requirement to run silverlight for Bing Webmaster Tools. Sites are being hacked with dropped canonical tags, but do you need to worry? A new term about Panda is being used, it is named Pandalized. Google Webmaster Tools added an Instant Previews testing tool. Google dropped the additional verification requirement for removing URLs within Webmaster Tools. Plus Google fixed the weekend link reporting bug within Webmaster Tools. Google News revamped with a way to hide blogs and press releases, a cleaner home page with click to expand, multimedia and source diversity labels plus more. Google AdWords now shows the display URL in some promoted ads. AdWords My Client Center no longer requires a unique email address per new AdWords account. Google Define operator no longer takes you to the Google Definitions page, instead you get taken to Google search results. Google launched a search only blog. Google Social Search is now in 19 more languages. Finally, congrats to Matteo Lopez for winning the Doodle 4 Google competition. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Bing Makes Facebook Data To Use, Personalized Bing Results By Facebook
- Silverlight No Longer Required For Bing Webmaster Tools
- Beware Of Canonical Redirect Hacking
- Were You "Pandalized"?
- Google Webmaster Tools Labs With Instant Previews Tool
- Google URL Removal Tool Now With Less Requirements
- Google Link Tool Bug Fixed But Slow To Update
- Google News Settings For Blogs & Press Releases, Plus Auto-Reload
- Google News Tries Again: Click To Expand, Labels, Multimedia Slider & More
- Starring Google News Results Gone
- Google News Any Language Feature Returns After Going MIA
- Google AdWords Now With Domains In Titles
- Google Now Showing Display URL In AdWords Title For Top Ads
- Create AdWords Accounts Without Email Addresses Within My Client Center
- Google's Define Operator Changes
- Google Search Blog For Search Only Blog Posts
- Google Social Search Now Available Worldwide
- Matteo Lopez's 'Space Life' Logo Wins Doodle 4 Google