This month was pretty busy with Google organic changes that are important to summarize for you all.
First up, Google admitted there was a Google update on and around May 1st after denying it. John Mueller said Google is working on faster Pandas and Penguins, again. Also, Google explained again why those algorithms may be both real time and not.
There was a massive local search change this month, Google denied it and then a day or two later, things returned to normal. They also may have slapped webmasters with manual actions earlier this month.
Google also promised to drop emojis but they are still there.
Anyway, a lot more, see the most important topics below:
- Google: Yes, There Was A Google Update Early This Month.
- Google's Animated GIF Reaction To What's Up With The Search Fluctuations
- Google's John Mueller: Working On Making Penguin & Panda Run Faster, Again
- Google: Panda & Penguin Are In Real Time But Still Require Manual Data Updates
- Google Local Search Results Update; Massive Ranking Changes
- Google: We Are Looking Into The Location Bugs
- Google Fixes Local Search Problems?
- Google Maps Racists Results Lead To Googlebomb Fix & Apology
- Google Takes Down Map Maker After Embarrassing Google Maps Hacks
- Google Slaps Mass Manual Actions For Thin Content Over Weekend
- Google Webmaster Tools Now Known As Google Search Console
- iOS Support Finally Comes To Google App Indexing
- Google App Indexing Now In Search Analytics & Fetch As Google In Google Search Console
- Google Discontinues Webmaster Tools (Search Console) App Stats Emails
- Google May Add Answer Box Data & Tools To Webmaster Tools
- Another Mass Reduction In Google Rich Snippets?
- Check Out The Google Penalty Server
- Google Will Drop Emoji's From Search Results So Stop Wasting Your Time
- Google: Automated Action Viewer Not Coming Any Time Soon
- Google Diagnosing Algorithmic Penalties In Real Time
- Google: Here Is Why The Mobile Friendly Algorithm Didn't Feel That Big
- Only 11% Said There Were Traffic Changes Since Google's Mobile Friendly Update
- Google: We Will Improve Our Mobile Friendly Algorithm & Add Mobile Page Speed
- Google: Just To Be Clear, There Is No Desktop UX Ranking Factor
- Google: UX Will Never Be More Important Than Content For Ranking
- Google: Priority & Change Frequency In Sitemap Doesn't Play Much Of A Role
- Google Actively Working To Get Better At Language Support For Search Quality
- Google Mobile Search Officially Gets Tweets From Twitter
- Google Now On Tap: Expanding Google Now Through App Indexing
- Google Has Replaced Matt Cutts As Head Of Web Spam
For last months recap see this post.
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.