Yet another Google Local bug to report.
Jade Wang from Google said in a Google Places Help thread there are confirmed reports on the categories not showing up on Google+ Local pages.
Jade explained, "It seems that categories are not appearing on some local Google+ pages. (Or, relatedly, some categories are showing, and some are not.)"
She said Google's engineers are working on fixing it but she does not have an estimated time for a fix.
She said there may be a work around to get them to work. She said:
- Go into your dashboard to edit your page.
- Submit the edit without changing anything.
- Find your location on mapmaker.google.com
- Edit -> Select a Place, then click where your business is located
- Edit -> Edit this place
- add your desired category if it's not already there, Submit
Please note -- MapMaker edits need to go through review (just like all other edits) before going live.
Forum discussion at Google Places Help.