Today and tomorrow I will be covering some of the sessions from the Search & Social Spring Summit based in Tampa, Florida. The coverage is more "note" type as opposed to live blogging format. Here is coverage of the Social Media Biz : Doing Business on Twitter & Facebook session with Rae Hoffman, Julia Gorzka, Joe Hall & Brian Chappell moderated by Jordan Kasteler.
Benefits of Twitter: - Traffic - Branding - Revenue, She said, Twitter is the highest revenue generating social media platform for her. - SEO benefit for those who use the Google Toolbar, she said.
Find Followers: - Look at competitors and follow those followers
Overall Tips: - Don't auto post - Do Engage - Be Real
7 Step Plan:
(1) Start With a Goal (2) Who is Your Target Audience? (3) What Story Are You Going to Tell? (4) From Where Do you Communicate? (5) How Are You Communicating? Blog, Photos, Video, etc. (6) Set Up a Call To Action, what do you want them to do? (7) Look at the Results
Her case study was for http://twitter.com/savethetortilla (account seems inactive and so does web site, I assume because the campaign is over). They basically created a PR nightmare for the bank that wanted to shut the company down.
- Prizes: Give away a Prize to get them to follow and then engage them so they don't leave. He talks about contests and how they should be run over time. And also discusses about give aways, counting people by hand for this can be a pain (i.e. followers and hashtags).
- Technical details on setting up these contests and giveaways via Facebook or on Twitter
- Goes over numbers in terms of how successful it was
White Hat Automation:
- Don't just use tools to automate, first build a strategy - It is impossible to be completely authentic on social media all the time and thus you cannot automate it - He shares an example of a Toilet that tweets when it flushes, see http://twitter.com/hacklabToilet - However, fake authenticity with automation is http://twitter.com/guykawasaki and it is bad - So the toilet has more authenticity than Guy
Black Hat Automation:
- Don't use it on sites you cannot risk it - You can create massive RTs with it - Use it on bookmarking sites - etc
- Pluggio - HummingBird - coTweet - FutureTweets - Twollow - MediaFunnel - etc