Google has finally written a formal post at the Google Webmaster Central blog named Best practices when moving your site. It honestly is a nice place to send a client or webmaster when the question comes up. Does it give any of us more information then we already know? Not really, but it is nice to know that what we know and practice is confirmed by Google.
We have covered this topic over and over again, here are some of the articles I found at the Search Engine Roundtable (I am sure there are more than what I listed):
- Want To Switch to a New Domain? 301 Redirects vs. 302 Redirects
- Moving From Old To New Domains: What To Expect In Terms Of Google Traffic
- Moving Site to a New IP: How to Prepare
- How to Launch a New Website With (and Without) SEO in Mind
- Don't Let Your New Domain Hurt Your SEO
- Changing Domain Name Ownership Whois Information & Google Search Ranking Impact
What I really want to see from Google is what we proposed back in 2006, the Google Certified Domain Change, that is something I think should be instituted already.
Anyway, it is nice to see this article from Google. But it is never enough, is it? We would love a tool in Webmaster Tools that aids the process, specifically for moving to a new domain.
Forum discussion at Google Groups.