Exciting week in search, yet again. J.C. Penney and Forbes were both publicly penalized by Google this week, both for paid links. Which then got people trying to call me out for paid links, which I never hide - so I ranted on that for a good few minutes. Bing is now personalizing search results. Google revamped their social search to be more integrated. Google is now going to explore explicit user feedback via a Chrome extension for ranking purposes. Google is planning tighter integration between Webmaster Tools and Analytics. Google rolled out a new top navigation bar, and I like it. Don't use the new parallax effect for your site if you want quality search rankings. Seems like a Trojan is out messing with Google and your web history. Google can't fix the Google Places respond to reviews feature. What do SEOs need to know with IPv6? Another SEO company almost called out by Google for lying in the forum and then the legal threats come out. Google Mexico had a TV logo, Google UK had an Ernest Shackleton logo and I feature the hot Valentine's Day logos from Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask.com and others. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable. Happy New Years!
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- SEOs Discuss The J.C. Penney Public Google Penalty
- Google Penalizes Forbes For Selling Links, Again
- How Dare You Tell Me To NoFollow My Sponsored Links
- Bing Now Using Location & Previous Search History To Personalize Results
- Google Social Search Results Now More Integrated
- Google Penalty Removals Happen Two Ways: Manually & Algorithmically
- Google: Exploring User Feedback As Ranking Signal Via Chrome Extension
- Google Planning Tighter Integration Between Webmaster Tools & Analytics
- Google's New Navigation Bar Rolling Out
- Hot In Web Design But Not In SEO? Parallax Effects Design
- Na Pohybel Janas: A Google Search Hack?
- Why Can't Google Fix The Places Response To Reviews Bug
- IPv6 Coming: SEOs May Want To Prepare
- SEO Company Badmouthed In Google Forum But What Happens Next Is Strange
- Google Mexico's Color TV Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena Logo
- Ernest Shackleton Google UK Logo
- Valentine's Day Logo From Google & Others