This week in search, we may have spotted Google testing an updated algorithm for 12 hours, some say Penguin, some say not. I published the Google Webmaster Report for April this week. Google expanded their document on how local ranking works in greater detail. Google updated their search quality raters guidelines. Former Googler explained that some manual actions have some automation to it. He also said they do go through PR training before doing webmaster outreach. Google warns the site owner if their site is not mobile friendly in the mobile search results. Google sent out PageSpeed module notifications for those using the old modules. Google’s John Mueller went through how Google handles various redirects. Google doesn’t give a ranking boost for going HTTP/2. Google may have expanded their featured snippets into other European regions. Google no longer requires a Google+ account to leave reviews on local listings. Google is testing showing mini reviews in the local pack. Google links to Fandango for movie listings. Google AdWords is testing a large green call button. Google AdWords new nearby interface looks way too like the organic results. The new Google My Business iOS App update crashes, it should let you set your special business hours better. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Is Google Testing The Penguin 4.0 Algorithm?
- April 2016 Google Webmaster Report
- Google Expands Local Ranking Help Document
- Google Updated Quality Raters Guidelines Last Week
- Former Googler On Why Do Some Google Manual Actions Seem Automated
- Google Employees Do Get PR Training For Webmaster Outreach
- Google Showing Site Owner; Your Page Is Not Mobile-Friendly In Search Results
- Google Sending Recommended PageSpeed Update Available Notifications
- Google's John Mueller On How They Handle 301, 302, 307 & Other Redirects
- Google: HTTP/2 Doesn't Have A Direct SEO Benefit But Makes For Faster Sites
- RankRanger: Google Featured Snippets Expand To More European Search Results
- Google Changes Local Reviews - Removes Google+ Page & Simplifies Adding Reviews
- New: Google Review Snippets In Local Pack
- Google Movie Listings Direct You To Fandango
- Google AdWords Testing Green Call/Phone Icon Button
- Google's New Nearby Ad Format Looks Like Free Results
- Google Removes My Business iOS App From App Store After Serious Bug