Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Page Layout Algorithm Officially Updated
Yesterday, Matt Cutts of Google announced on Twitter that Google has officially updated the page layout algorithm that it launched in January of this year. This is the first official and confirmed update of this algorithm but I do not believe this is the first time they actually ran an update on this algorithm. I believe they ran updates and refreshes to the page layout algorithm before but haven't told us. Google has been in a telling mood and told us about this data refresh.
- Report: Image Search & Bing The Most Likely To Contain Malicious Links
A report by Sophos claims that of the links they block leading to malicious poisoned results, leading to sites like payday loan sites, are much more likely to come from image search and Bing than Google and text based search. Of the links blocked by Sophos...
- Google On Guest Blogging For Links
Google's Matt Cutts is back at it with the webmaster videos, answering AJ Kohn's question, "What is Google's view on guest blogging for links...
- Google News Spotlight Not Returning Documents
The Google News Spotlight section, which launched about a year ago seems to be having some technical difficulties. Some users are reporting in the Google News Help forum that it doesn't return any matched documents...
- Google Now With AdWords Business Credit Card
Google announced they have been testing offering a business credit card for AdWords customers to buy AdWords ads with...
- Google+ Swag Phone Kickstand
Bradley Horowitz posted a picture of a new swag item he has for Google+. It is a Google+ Hangout mobile phone kickstand. Heck, he even took a video of it - although he didn't show how well it holds
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Facebook 'Want' Button Being Tested, WebmasterWorld
- First time seeing gmail results in SERPs, WebmasterWorld
- Microsoft Wrongly Targeted Sites With Takedown Requests To Google, DigitalPoint Forums
- How to use Rich Snippets in a Static Website, WebmasterWorld