Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Major Google Loophole Let Anyone Remove Any Site From Google
Yesterday morning, James Breckenridge discovered a huge bug in Google Webmaster Tools that technically gave anyone the ability to remove any site from Google's index. I held off on reporting it here and on Search Engine Land until I know Google fixed the issue...
- Link Building Through Old GeoCities Links?
A WebmasterWorld thread has interesting discussion around a link building strategy of looking for sites that link to old GeoCities web pages. As you know...
- Google Marketing Yellowbook's AdWords Services?
A WebmasterWorld thread has AdWords advertisers complaining that they received emails from Google pitching the services of an AdWords reseller named Yellowbook...
- Google Directory No Longer
Google has quietly dropped the Google Directory. Now if you try to access it, you will get a message that Google has removed it because it is slow and not as fast as using Google search.
- Google's Pea Logo For Gregor Mendel
On most of the Google home pages today, you will see a logo that looks like a pea but with scientific annotation marks around it...
- Wow! The GooglePlex.
Trey Ratcliff took a picture of the outside area of the GooglePlex, actually the backyard area. I have never seen such a nice picture of Google before. Would you agree?
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Are the ranking effects of new links changing?, WebmasterWorld
- AdCenter email about advertising in Canada, WebmasterWorld
- ECommerce Website Content For SEO – What is it and are you wasting your time?, Sphinn
- Google To Back HTC In Patent Fight With Apple, WebmasterWorld
- New interface Google Translate, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- PageRank and now "BrandRank"?, WebmasterWorld
- What to Do When Your AdWords CPCs Are Too High, Sphinn
- Doodle Colombian independence day, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google Boost Tip #1, Google Places for business Help
- Update on Viewcount issues, YouTube Help