Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Rap Genius Back After 10-Day Penalty
Over Christmas, Rap Genius was penalized by Google for unnatural links. In short, they offered an exchange of traffic for keyword rich links to their site. It was outed, Google's Matt Cutts saw it, it lead to a manual action that had a serious impact on their traffic. It lasted a total of ten-days and now Rap Genius is back in the search results...
- Google On What To Do If You Can't Have 100% Unique Content
Google has said time to time that having some unique content, even if it is a few sentences of unique content may be enough. So when Gary Illyes from Google responded to a thread at Google Webmaster Help - his response stood out...
- Social Optimization: Your Content Or Yourself?
There is an interesting conversation going on at Cre8asite Forums about your clients participating in social networks and the importance of that. The given is that social is growing in importance, as it related to search rankings either indirectly and in the future...
- Zemanta Links & Google's Guidelines
Zemanta is a content discovery platform, they have a popular WordPress plugin that helps bloggers find related posts and related images while you write your post. It does mention a bit on links on the plugin page: Link Love by linking to other bloggers' related posts...
- TIME Magazine Cover: Matt Cutts Of Google?
Phil Singleton posted a picture of Google's Matt Cutts on the cover of TIME magazine. Of course this looks doctored up, and Matt was really not on TIME's cover but it is fun to share here. It cites
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Pure Spam Fixed But Now?, Google Webmaster Help
- Disappearance from organic listing, Google Webmaster Help
- Googlebot massively tries URLs not existing for 3+ years, WebmasterWorld
- Be a newspapers site in order to rank?, WebmasterWorld