Below is live coverage of the Search on Mobile Devices, QR Codes, Mobile & Social: The Next Mobile Frontier panel from the SES San Francisco 2011 conference. This coverage is provided by Shanon Woodruff at RankSmart.
Disclaimer: The coverage is brought to you in real time, using a custom live blogging tool. Feel free to ask questions or leave comments for inclusion into the live coverage. During the live event, live notes will auto-scroll with newest entries at top. After the session is complete the archive version will have the oldest entries at the top. We ask you to please excuse any typos, as these are live notes.
Stay tuned! Live updates will begin momentarily.
Search on Mobile Devices, QR Codes, Mobile & Social: The Next Mobile Frontier : SES San Fran 2011 Live Coverage
Andrew Beckman, CEO, Location3 Media
Terry Rodrigues, Senior Director, Product Management, Mobile Search, Yahoo!
Angie Schottmuller, Founder, Interactive Artisan
what are Mobil Tags?
1D Barcode (UPC)
2D Barcode (QR)
QR Code Scanning Process
Anyone with a smartphone can use these.
What can QR store?
- Phone Number
- Contact Record
- Calendar Entry
- GeoLocation / Map
Who uses 2D?
22% of the Fortune 50 have already used mobile barcode
US and Europe are just starting to use it.
Barcode scanning grew 80% from Q1- Q2 in the US
Why use mobile barcode?
1. People love their mobile phone
2. They are free and easy to use
3. For Clever artistic opportunities:
4. For Clever Use
5. QR codes are scalable to nearly any surface:
6. Mobility Presents opportunities everywhere!
7. To gather tangible metrics
8. To gather tangible metrics
9. Bridge the non-digital and digital gap to uniquely enhance the user experience
Golden Rules of Mobile Barcode Usage
1. Serve a business objective
2. Create a value-added user experience
3. Provide contextual assistance by the code
- What to do
- What they'll get upon scanning
- How to get a reader app
- How to participate w/o using the barcode
4. Testing to make sure codes are scannable - 90% of QR are not scannable
5. QR needs to me a minimum of 1x1 inch - Test multiple
Best 2D Barcode readers
QR Code Generators / Management Platforms:
-QReate and Track
Mobile Barcode Generators:
Things to consider:
-Minimize Code Content before generating
-Increase ECL for designer codes
-Save barcode image, resize and edit
-Print an test scanning
-Place and test it again
Terry Rodrigues, Yahoo
Yahoo working to make mobile more fun
How smartphone consumers spend their time
Mobile Search Marketing:
Q: It still seems like a challenge to get people to download an app and scan or will it go native on handsets
A: No, but some smartphones are starting to include a reader on their pones
Q: QR, they like to put the URL with the QR code - what do you think?
A: Good idea for those without readers, a nice backup.
Q: Is QR code will get you their quicker
A: Yes, but on social media sites it takes you to the web not the app
2:53:15 PM Shanon Woodruff: The End - Search on Mobile Devices, QR Codes, Mobile & Social: The Next Mobile Frontier : SES San Fran 2011 Live Coverage