Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Is Google's X-Rays Logo Slowing You Down?
Yesterday we warned you about the Google X-Rays logo. So now it is here and you see it on Google.com, unless you are already tomorrow, like Australia. Here is a picture of the original Google X-Rays logo: The logo is actually made up of eight images to create an animated GIF. It provides the glow effect to the live logo, which you should see above. Here is a break down of the eight logos: There
- Google Doesn't Penalize For Slow Sites, Kind Of
Ever since Google announced page speed is a ranking factor, SEOs have been blaming their rankings on their site speed. Google is trying to make webmasters conscious of making fast loading pages but with anything Google does, when they provide a testing tool webmasters and SEOs can get a bit obsessive. Page speed is important but how important? A WebmasterWorld thread has one SEO/webmaster blaming the speed of his pages for his loss in rankings.
- Do You Use SEO Audit Tools?
Rhea posted a detailed review of SEO audit tools comparing tools from Web CEO, Alexa Site Audit, Website Grader, Website Auditor and SEOmoz Tools. There is also a recent article at Search Engine Watch on SEO audits and tools you can use to help. The Sphinn thread on the topic has comments from Jill Whalen & Incredible Help asking why would SEOs use these tools? One asked, "why would we as SEO's give credence to
- PubCon Vegas 2010 Live Blog Coverage Schedule
PubCon Las Vegas 2010 is this coming Tuesday. We are thrilled to be able to bring the event to you, even if you cannot make it, through our live blogging coverage. We've been covering PubCon events since 2004 and are happy to be able to do it again in 2010! Live blogging PubCon are our volunteer live bloggers Brian Ussery of Search Discovery (@beussery), Steve Krull of BeFoundOnline (@stevekrull) and myself (@rustybrick). Thank you all
- Google Names Sponsored Links "Ads" & Tests 11 Top Ads
Friday was a busy day at Google AdWords. I reported at Search Engine Land two significant things. (1) Google Does Away With "Sponsored Links" Label, Now Ads Are Labeled "Ads": Google has renamed the long standing label of their search ads. For as long as I can remember, the ads in the web search results have been named "sponsored links." In fact, the earliest picture I have taken of an ad on Google was in
- X-Rays Of The Google Logo Coming Monday
Tomorrow, November 8th, is the 115th anniversary of the discovery of X-rays. Google will have a special logo, aka Doodle, of an X-ray of the Google logo. I bet you never knew what made up the Google logo? Well, now is your chance. Since it is already tomorrow in Australia, you can check out the logo at Google Australia. As you can see, I have a picture of it below: We see the Google logo
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: November 5, 2010
This week I quickly covered the Blekko launch. I discussed the past month of changes at Google, from an SEO's perspective. Google Instant launched on iPhone and Android, but it sucks on the iPhone. Yahoo Site Explorer may be fixed. Google expanded their brand related search box. Google tells us why their search results estimates look wrong. Google added total links to the link reports. Google wants you to add more sites to Webmaster Tools.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Bing emulates Google Places in web search, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Google Has Now Lost My Geo-Targetting!, WebmasterWorld
- Automated Forum Profile Link Building - Does it Work?, WebmasterWorld
- Mayo Clinic & What Happens When a Facebook Wall Goes Terribly Wrong, Sphinn
- Ballmer sells $1.3B Microsoft stock, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google maps - What am I doing wrong - it sometimes starts panning and I cannot stop it., Google Maps Help
- Google News spam becomes the news "CNET How one company games Google News", Google News Help
- Publishing is stuck at 0% for my recent uploads. What's going on?, YouTube Help
- Safety Tool producing 500 ISE (server error), YouTube Help