Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Hide Links From Google? Google Says No To SEO
- Google Says: We Are "The Biggest Kingmaker On This Earth"
The Telegraph interviewed Google's Amit Singhal and Udi Manber about the Caffeine launch. In that interview, Amit Singhal, Google's head of core ranking, said something interesting. He said that Google is "the biggest kingmaker on this Earth." Kingmaker is a term used to describe someone or something that has great influence on a topic. For Google to describe themselves as "the biggest kingmaker" is an important point. I personally do not think Google said it
- Google AdWords Testing Related Broad Matches AdWords Ads
Yesterday I reported at Search Engine Land based on a discovery by James Carswell that Google was testing a new AdWords ad block in the Google search results. The new ad block was "related ads" that expanded on the searcher's search query and showed ads for a different keyword. Here is a picture of what the ad block looked like: Google confirmed yesterday that this is indeed a beta test. Google sent me this statement,
- Search Spammers Targeting Google Images At Higher Rate?
I am seeing sporadic but yet recent reports from WebmasterWorld and Google Webmaster Help with complaints about Google Image Search being spammed and taken advantage of. The complaints come in the form of spammers taking images owned by a particular webmaster and putting them on a third party web site. Then Google picks up the stolen images and ranks the stolen image about the original owners image in Google Image Search. This has always been
- Testing Google AdSense on Mobile Sites?
As more and more people are utilizing their mobile phones to access web content on a daily basis, more and more publishers are looking for ways to monetize that area better. A WebmasterWorld thread has several Google AdSense publishers discussing tactics, strategies and stories on what they did to help monetize their site's with Google AdSense mobile ads. Most of these publishers are sticking to monetizing for full-size mobile browsers, such as iPhones, Android devices,
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- AOL Sells Social Networking Site, Bebo, To Private Investment Firm, WebmasterWorld
- Pegman playing Vuvuzela, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- PubSubHubbub, Wordpress & Faster Indexation, Sphinn
- SEO Is Mostly Quack Science, Sphinn
- Sphinn 2.2 in Planning … Your Feedback Requested, Sphinn
- YouTube Cloud Video Editor, WebmasterWorld
- How do I remove the picture of my house from your street view?, Google Maps Help
- Importance of getting new inbound links continuously, WebmasterWorld
- Link Juice given to a target="_blank" link vs a no target link, Google Webmaster Help
- PR Does Not Change After Building Links, HighRankings Forums
- what is the use of Google Commerce Search 2.0 ?, DigitalPoint Forums