Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Was There a Google May Day Tweak On June 2nd?
Every SEO in the world should have heard of the May Day Google update by now. I mean, we covered it on May 3rd, May 14th, May 25th, May 28th and once again on May 30th. But I am sure there are some that never heard of it. In any event, we may have an update for you. A WebmasterWorldthread has several webmasters reporting a ranking change in Google on June 2nd. We have several
- Bad Links: Words From Google
I often quote different search representatives from what I find they say in the forums. One of the most quoted search reps is JohnMu, a previous webmaster turned Googler. I often quote him, then try to figure out any insight into the Google black box on what he said. I am sure he finds it funny, but hey - it is what I do. In a recent Google Webmaster Help thread, John replied to a
- Yahoo Gaming Search Market Share or Being A Typical Publisher?
Time To End The Bullshit Search Engine Share Figures? by Danny Sullivan is a must read for anyone interested in how search market share statistics work. In summary, Yahoo, after months and months of search market share decline, is now seeing a few months of search market share growth. Danny basically says that Yahoo, like other search players, game the system. How? Well, Danny digs into how in his article, so check it out. This
- Will Google's Index Size Increase With Caffeine?
A WebmasterWorld thread asks if Google's index is indeed expanding with Caffeine or not. As you all know, Google Caffeine officially launched last week after much speculation, anticipation and confusion. Caffeine, as we have said to exhaustion by now, is not a ranking algorithm change. It is a change to how Google stores data in their index and how they find new content for their index. It is an indexing game changer for Google, but
- No Flag Day For Google or Yahoo: Bing, Ask & Dogpile Raise The Flag
Today is Flag Day in the United State of America and Bing, Ask.com and Dogpile all have logos and themes or mentions for the day. We even have a theme here, but Google and Yahoo do not. Here are pictures of the Flag Day themes I have found: Bing: DogPile: Ask.com has a mention: Search Engine Roundtable: Now, Google does do Flag day type of logos/doodles internationally. It was Russia Day and check out this
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 11, 2010
This week, I run through 15 or so topics in about 18 minutes. Google Caffeine is officially live worldwide now, this is not a ranking change like May Day. Google Webmaster Tools bug caused drop in impression and click reporting. Google added soft 404 reporting to Webmaster Tools crawl errors. Google Suggest now shows misspellings. Bing launched social search features. Bing un-launched (if that is a word) their Cashback program. Google released AdWords Campaign Experiments
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Congratulations to our May Competition winners, Google AdWords Help
- Google time based search results, WebmasterWorld
- Googler Exposes Windows Vulnerability, WebmasterWorld
- Known Issue: Error in the Performance report, Google Merchant Center Help
- Navigation - Considering the Recent Algo Changes, WebmasterWorld
- The 2010 World Cup messing with my adsense income?, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google's written response to wi-fi sniffing case, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Share your opinion with us: Data feed error messaging, Google Merchant Center Help