Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- GoogleGuy Retire From WebmasterWorld Again?
The infamous and legendary GoogleGuy at WebmasterWorld has gone almost a full year without posting at WebmasterWorld. GoogleGuy's last post was in a WebmasterWorld thread on July 24, 2008 at about 6:30pm (EST). He replied to confirm a PageRank toolbar update. GoogleGuy use to be extremely active in the WebmasterWorld forums, ranking up 2,882 posts over the year. But for the past few years, he/she has been very quiet. Why? Well, now GoogleGuy is not
- StreamRotator Blamed For Google Penalizing Porn Industry?
About a month ago, we reported that Google slapped the porn industry with a Google penalty of some sort. Soon after we reported the issue, Google seemed to have reversed the penalty on that industry. But we all thought it wasn't industry specific, but rather the software used by many of the webmasters in that industry. There seems to be a new batch of issues in that adult/porn industry now. StreamRotator by StreamScripts.com seems to
- Google Maps Won't Take Pictures of George Washington Bridge
I spotted a thread at the Google Maps Help forum asking why Google doesn't allow people to walk across the George Washington Bridge. Specifically, why doesn't Google let people plot the directions as walking directions when traveling across the bridge. Any New Yorker knows, the bridge is filled with people walking or biking back and forth. It is a good question. But when I was scoping out the bridge on Google Maps, using street views,
- Yahoo's Revenue Drops Again, Squeeze Out Higher Profits (YHOO)
Greg Sterling always does a great job with the financials, and he did so with the Yahoo (YHOO) earnings details. Yahoo Q2 Revs: $1.57B, Down 13 Percent But Profit Up 8 Percent from Search Engine Land has those details. In short, revenue was down 13% but profit was up about 8%. Some thought Yahoo would layoff an additional 5%, but those reports were wrong. We are all anticipating some Microsoft/Yahoo deal happening sooner then later,
- Google Webmaster Tools Won't Load For Some Users
There are some reports of Google Webmaster Tools not loading for some users. Some of these reports are coming from WebmasterWorld and I also personally have this issue. When I try to access the tool, the URL redirects back and forth between the Google Account authentication system and the webmaster tools home page. If I try a different browser, it lets me in, so it seems to be a cookie issue for some users. Firefox
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- "Take our survey" link, WebmasterWorld
- Take our survey - new, DigitalPoint Forums
- Adwords has a five strikes then ban rule, WebmasterWorld
- Amazon Acquires Zappos, WebmasterWorld
- Customer Service Has a New Name and It’s Twitter, Sphinn
- Problems sharing spreadsheets with large number of users, Google Docs Help
- Whatever happened to the "share your personalized news" feature??, Google News Help
- Where are the Google Maps directions to the Moon?, Google Maps Help