Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Yahoo Launches Glue Pages ("Universal Search")
Barry at Search Engine Land points out that Yahoo India has glue pages, which some people are comparing to Universal Search, because of classic search results on the left hand column, visual information in the center column and bottom right hand corner (in addition to articles), and sponsored results. Here's a screenshot for a search for trees. Click to enlarge. The idea is pretty cool and sticky (pun intended) and the results page is definitely
- Performing Keyword Research Without a Computer
WebmasterWorld member Receptional Andy suggests the unconventional way to perform keyword research: offline with two books. The first book is the useful dictionary. If you do a search for "widget," for example, you may get an origin phrase, and in this case, it's "gadget." The second book is the related reading guide: the thesaurus. You can get plenty of comparable words by using the thesaurus. Then, you just need to write down everything on paper.
- Google Strives to Help Myanmar Cyclone Victims
After a deathly cyclone ravaged the Myanmar (Burma) region, thousands of people are still hoping for aid while the death toll rises into the six digits. Fortunately, if you go to Google.com today, you'll see that they're looking to help. A screenshot of what my homepage appears as is included: The link takes you to the Myanmar disaster relief page which allows you to donate through UNICEF or through Direct Relief International. Forum members believe
- Are Internal Links Weighted the Same as External Links by Google?
A WebmasterWorld member notes that when he does a link: query for a specific domain, it shows only internal links and not external links -- but it depends on the size of the domain. This behavior is only observed on very large sites versus smaller ones. How come that's the case? Is there an issue of how this data is being gathered and is there extra weight being placed on these links? Tedster believes that
- How Do You Get Your Images Out Of Google's SafeSearch Filter?
A WebmasterWorld thread has serious discussion on obtaining advice and tips on getting your images out of the Google SafeSearch filter. Basically, sometimes Google might label your images as being sexually explicit or not appropriate for the average searcher. If that is done, you shouldn't come up in Google's web search results or in the standard Google image search (unless someone changes their Google preferences). What we have been noticing is that Google has been
- Poll: Do You Report Your Competitors as Spam in Google?
Ann Smarty goes through the conflicts of reporting competitors as spamming Google search results. Yes, this is a topic we covered many times here, including: Reporting Spam: Is It EthicalHow Can I Report Spam to Google?Google Spam Reporting WorkingDoes Google Investigate Spam Reports?Quick Spam Reporting Tool In any event, the related Sphinn thread has discussion on if you report your competitors as spamming in Google. So I decided to run a poll here to find
- Google Says They Fixed AdSense Reporting Bug But Publishers Not Convinced
Yesterday we reported about a major reporting bug that impacted both AdWords & AdSense users. Yesterday at about 9pm (EST), Google's AdSensePro Stephanie said the reports were now fixed. Yes, that is about 40 hours after received our first reports of the outage. Stephanie said: This reporting issue has now been fixed, so you should now see all of your missing data from yesterday in your account. (We've also reflected this update on our Known
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google - Publisher Or Advertiser?, Cre8asite Forums
- Google Invests With Partners in $3.2B Wireless Broadband Company, WebmasterWorld
- Google launches YouTube in India, DigitalPoint Forums
- Ranking Images for Web Image Retrieval, WebmasterWorld
- How do I delete a Google Reader note? , Google Groups
- The SEO Guide to Information Architecture, Sphinn
- Twitter Spam: Myth Or Reality? - Danny Sullivan at Daggle, Sphinn
- Where is AdWords Rep AWR?, Search Engine Watch Forums