Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- "Google Boxes" Promote Rankings, But is it Worth It?
A High Rankings Forum member discovered the golden Google Box, a widget that displays the top 10 rankings for any particular keyword. It looks like this: embedding a bit of code on your site, you can show your users the top 10 rankings for a particular keyword. For example, if you are searching for "Google," you'll be presented with the following (or similar) box: So the forum member asks: should you put one of these
- Matt Cutts Vs. Aaron Wall: The Google vs. SEO Debate?
In a recent blog response to his own post, Matt Cutts has responded to allegations about the open dispute about Aaron and Google. In a nutshell, Matt says that there were some blackhat practices intertwined with whitehat sites and that the dispute has been resolved. Now I know both of them so I personally cannot comment on the incident, but the discussion moves to Sphinn where webmasters are happy that this has been brought to
- Google AdSense Video Units Available to Canada, UK, and Ireland
Guess what, publishers? If you reside in the UK, Ireland, or in Canada, you can now try Google's video AdSense feature. Apparently, it has been a success in the US, and now the feature is being rolled out to additional countries, according to the Inside AdSense blog. Now that you're able to take advantage of this feature, Barry's excellent screenshot walkthrough on how to set up Google AdSense video units is even more applicable to
- Hitwise: Google Dominated Search in October
Hitwise, a competitive intelligence service, has released its October 2007 numbers, indicating that Google dominated the search landscape that month with over 64% of searches performed. Yahoo, MSN, and Ask followed, with numbers at 21.65%, 7.42%, and 4.76%, respectively. Is Google a monopoly? Forum members wonder. Other forum members dismiss that idea, saying that high market shares are not indicative of any such monopoly. It is, after all, a user preference, and there are few
- Google Webmaster Link Tool Mid-November 2007 Update
Google has updated Google Webmaster Tools with a link update again this month. Google has been updating their linkage data in Webmaster Tools more frequently, but it appears it has often been happening the first or second week of the month and not towards the end of the month. There is currently discussion at DigitalPoint Forums. Here is a look at our top pages, by links reported via Google Webmaster Tools: November 2007 Linkage Data
- Search Marketers Love - Hate Relationship with Microsoft adCenter
A WebmasterWorld thread has a great run down of the frustration many search marketers have to deal with when it comes to advertising with Microsoft adCenter. The user interface within the advertising console clearly frustrates most search marketers. They say it takes them at least twice as long to manage a campaign in adCenter than it does with Google AdWords or Yahoo Search Marketing. The page to page load times are slow, the features are
- Flash Intro Pages: Big SEO "No No"
Do you want to make the most of your site's search engine visibility? Do you want to rank for your bread and butter keywords? Do you also love your Flash introduction page? Well, you would be kidding yourself if you want to have the best of both worlds. A SitePoint Forums thread asks if a Flash intro page can hurt your rankings. 99% of the time, it can. Your homepage is often the most linked
- Google Country Specific Results No Longer Showing Supplemental Pages?
Reports are coming from WebmasterWorld that when you conduct a country specific search, you are no longer able to see which pages are supplemental. The example given was a search at google.co.uk. When you conduct a site: specific search for "the web," you would be able to see pages in the supplemental index. But when you refined that search by "pages from the UK," you would not be able to see such results. We all
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- DP lost pagerank?, DigitalPoint Forums
- How do you get Top 100 Results on Ask.co.uk?, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Simple question, has your Adsense CTR changed since "the changes", DigitalPoint Forums
- Aaron Wall updates SEObook, Sphinn
- AdWords Forum Reaches 100,000 Post Milestone, WebmasterWorld
- Calacanis wants another $20m for Mahalo's money pot, Sphinn
- Essential software/tools for SEO, SitePoint Forums
- How should I configure actions in my IMAP client? - POP/IMAP and Forwarding, Google Groups
- Q&A from the SMX Stockholm conference, Google Groups
- Yelp SEO Analysis: Part Two, Sphinn