Busy week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable. First I discuss a possible Google update that hit ground a few days ago. then I go into how AdWords lets you tie your Webmaster Tools account together and build a paid and organic report into one. Google's Matt Cutts told us why example links maybe not be in Webmaster Tools links. Google is testing a new preview search result feature. Google posted a detailed FAQ on using authorship. Google's Matt Cutts said +1s don't improve rankings and page speed is not more important of mobile rankings, yet. I ask, would you prefer a manual penalty over an algorithmic penalty? Google implied they may make penalty notifications even easier. Google shows you how long, in milliseconds, it takes GoogleBot to download your page. Google Now lets you track your kids, spouse and coworkers. Google AdWords added chart smoothing aggregation. Google AdSense added new ad format blocking. Google Places is auto-upgrading some place listings to Google+ pages. Google Maps added waze traffic data. Finally, Google had a nice relaxing Google Doodle for Claude Debussy. That was this week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Some Reports Of An August 21/22 Google Update
- Google AdWords & Webmaster Tools Team Up With Paid & Organic Reporting
- Google On Why Links Within Webmaster Tools May Or May Not Be Enough
- Google Search Text Previews Test
- Google's FAQ On Rel Author Says Not For Product Pages
- Google's Matt Cutts: +1s Don't Improve Rankings
- Google's Matt Cutts: Page Speed Not More Important For Mobile Ranking
- Poll: Do You Prefer A Manual Or Algorithmic Penalty?
- Google: We Know You're Confused About Manual & Algorithmic Penalties
- Google Documents Page Download Time For GoogleBot
- Google Now Adds Ability To See When Your Employees Get To Work
- Google AdWords Adds Time Aggregation To Charts
- Google AdSense Adds Opt Out Options For Five Ad Formats
- Google Places Listings Auto-Upgraded To Google+ Pages
- Google Maps App With Waze Data
- Google's Musical Logo For Claude Debussy