Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google, Here Is A Solution For Passing Query Data Securely
Last week, Google changed how they handle signed in Google searchers by defaulting them to SSL enabled Google search...
- Minor Google Panda Update On 20th: Panda 2.5.3
A WebmasterWorld thread has some SEOs suggesting there was another minor update to the Panda update on the 19th or 20th of October...
- Google Panda Tragedy Case Does Not Blame Google
I've exhaustively covered the Google Panda changes since February through the eyes of the webmaster. 99% of the time, I echo the feelings demonstrated in the forums and as you can imagine...
- Google Kills + Search Operator
Everyone knows about Google +, Google's social network, but the old Google + was the use of the + sign in the Google search box for exact matching on your keyword searches.
- Google AdWords Dynamic Search Ads: Ads Without Keywords
This is interesting, Google introduced Google Dynamic Search Ads. Basically, Dynamic Search Ads are ads that are auto-generated based off the content of your pages. Google will crawl your pages, the ones you tell them to crawl...
- Jerry Yang Visits Yahoo Hong Kong
Here is a picture by Stanley Ng posted on Flickr of Jerry Yang visiting Yahoo Hong Kong late last week. He visited Hong Kong as part of the AsiaD conference,
- 66% Says Google's Panda Minor Update Was Very Significant
On Tuesday I reported how the Google Panda 2.5.2 tweak was more than just a "minor" update. There were just too many complaints in the forums for it to appear to be really that "minor." So I decided to run a poll, where we have well over 400 responses. The responses were overwhelming against the notion that this was a minor update or tweak to the Panda algorithm.
- SEO Link Building Job Interview Question
A HighRankings Forum thread has a person going on a job interview set with the task to come up with ideas on how to get "natural links" for a site in a specific niche. The SEO job applicant said he is new to the space, only got the interview because of his/her "enthusiasm...
- Share Tips On Google AdWords Halloween Tactics
Halloween is just around the corner and AdWords advertisers are eager to make some money off the holiday. If you sell halloween related merchandise such as Halloween costumes, Jack O'lanterns, Pumpkins, recipes, etc. you may want to use AdWords to maximize those sales...
- Google + Profile Collage
Brett Crosby from Google posted a picture of a handmade collage of photos put together from Google + profiles, making up the Google logo. Pretty cool but I wonder how long this took?
- Google's Quality Rating Guidelines Leaked, Again
On Tuesday, I posted the latest version of the Google Search Quality Rating Guidelines after an anonymous reader sent it to us. This version is labelled version 3.18 and dated March 30, 2011. Since before this document, the earliest version I had was from back in April of 2007.
- Yahoo Organic Search Now Powered By Bing Everywhere*
Well, it is done - Yahoo, everywhere you go with the exception of Korea, even on mobile or desktop, will be fully powered by a different search engine - Microsoft Bing. Yahoo Search is not providing their own algorithmic search results anymore
- The Google News Publisher FAQs
Google News representatives have published a series of Google News Publisher FAQs in the Google News Help Forums the other day. Harvey from the Google News team said: In order to help answer your questions before you post them...
- Google Yellow Pillows
DataArt posted this picture on their Flickr account of three women holding yellow Google pillows. It was taken at the Google Technology User Groups (GTUG) and posted this week.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google click through data, WebmasterWorld
- Mobile SEO is a Myth, Sphinn
- Team, I inaccuratley called my wife 'derranged' in a post - can you please remove the thread please., Google Webmaster Help
- 7 Lessons Learned Running an SEO Agency, Sphinn
- E.U. Could Fine Facebook 100.000 Euro Over Deleted User Data Archive, WebmasterWorld
- Google Invests in Privacy for Profit, Sphinn
- How Technical SEO Procrastination Hurts Your Redesign Effort, Sphinn
- Should I Change My URLs for SEO?, Sphinn
- Who is officially broken by Google? I am., WebmasterWorld
- Google Reader and Google+ becoming closer, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Noticing a change to the upload page? Provide feedback here., YouTube Help
- Specialist Week: Unable to log into your AdWords account? Forgot your login information? Unable to reach phone support?, Google AdWords Help
- Why did I receive a "complete registration and upgrade your account" email?, YouTube Help