Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Searchers Can't Go Back To Google Due To Bug
This morning I spotted dozens of threads in the Google Web Search Help forum from searchers complaining the back button doesn't take them back to Google. In summary, a searcher searches for something on Google, finds a result, clicks on it, and then when dissatisfied they click the back button to go back to the Google search results. The issue is, clicking the back button doesn't take all of these searchers back to Google, instead
- Google's Matt Cutts Says He Doesn't Come To WebmasterWorld Due To No URL Policy
If you haven't heard the news, WebmasterWorld is having Feedback Day where over the course of 3 to 4 days they are seeking feedback from their users. In just a day or so, there are already 841 posts in the forum, so not too bad! What I found interesting is that Google's Matt Cutts came in to offer his two cents, as he describes it. In short, Matt explained that he doesn't come that often
- Does Turning Off Personalized Results In Google Really Work?
A WebmasterWorld thread asks a question and paranoia (might be an extreme word here) I had myself about turning off personalized results. In short, people in the SEO world, mostly, try to turn off personalized results when searching on their keywords to see how they rank. Personalized results, especially on keywords you manually check often, can make a significant difference in the ranking of those results. The WebmasterWorld thread asks if turning off personalization really
- AdWords Adds Ad Extensions Tab To Interface
Google announced on the AdWords blog that they are now giving advertisers more control on managing and tracking their AdWords ad extensions. Ad extensions include: Ad SitelinksProduct ExtensionsVideo ExtensionsLocation ExtensionsMultiple Addresses for Location ExtensionsClick-to-Call Phone Extensions With this new feature you can see statistics for "All" or "All but deleted" extensions in your AdWords account. You can also enable or disable the tab for your account view by clicking the arrow button next to your
- Google Analytics Enables Opt Out & IP Anonymizing
- Google Looking For Feedback on Full Video Episode Search
Nelson from Google posted a thread at the Google Web Search Help forum asking users to check out the full video search feature at Google Video. Nelson explained that you can now discover "full-length episodes in a structured view." To demonstrate this ability, he linked to the full length episodes of Lost. Here is a screen shot: He then asked, "Play with it! Let us know how what you think of it." Forum discussion at
- Google Asking AdSense Publishers To Testify in Congress?
A WebmasterWorld thread reports that some publishers are receiving email requests from Google or the IAB asking them if they would like to go to Washington, D.C. to testify in front of the U.S. Congress. The email's subject line is, "Invitation to share your AdSense experience in Washington D.C." I personally did not receive this email, nor could I find a transcript of the email on the internet. The person who received it said, Google
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Facebook Rolls Out New Privacy Settings on May 26, WebmasterWorld
- Google Says It Generated $54 Billion Of U.S. Economic Activity In 2009, WebmasterWorld
- Google's Economic Impact, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google stopped Google Street View cars, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Malware in Google's Top Searches - Symantec Study, WebmasterWorld
- Changes to the Google Merchant Center, Google Merchant Center Help
- How to Build Your Brand Working For Someone Else, Sphinn
- So what's a relevant link?, WebmasterWorld