Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google MAYDAY Update Hitting Long Tail Ranking?
Our ongoing WebmasterWorld thread hit a new month and although I normally cover this type of thread as an overview of the past month, today, the thread took on a new development. So maybe later this week I will do the Google May report, but today, I am discussing what SEOs and Webmasters codenamed "MAYDAY." The WebmasterWorld summarized what many webmasters have noticed over the past few days with Google. That being, and I quote,
- Google Transliterated Search Results?
We know Google has a really nifty Google Translate tool and we know Google integrates that directly in the search results with translate this page. But Google is also pushing hard on transliteration and improving that. For those that don't know the difference between translation and transliteration, translation is simply converting one language into an other, where as transliteration is where you help people speak one language by showing the pronunciation in the language they
- Google Pushes Living Stories To Publishers Via WordPress Plugin
In February of this year, Google released code to help facilitate their push for Living Stories on Google News. As I explained then, a Living Story can be thought of as "instead of writing an article for each new event that happens on a certain topic, you update an existing story with the latest information." Late last week, Google made their second push by announced a WordPress plugin to help facilitate publishers in creating these
- Google Compression Test: google.com/compressiontest
A Google Blogoscoped Forums thread notes that Google recently disallowed the URL google.com/compressiontest in their robots.txt file. The question is, what is this all about? Google does have a code base for code.google.com/p/compressiontest/ that is "a small test framework that performs benchmark comparisons between a variety of open source compression libraries." But how does this impact searchers or SEOs? On February 17th, a few searchers noticed a bug with their browsers associated with this file.
- Google vs Rosetta Stone Case Dismissed Over Search Ad Trademark Issues
Rosetta Stone sued Google for allowing people to big on their name in AdWords. These people were selling counterfeit software, and Rosetta Stone went after Google to stop it. There is a WebmasterWorld thread now covering the decision. The thread links to a Reuters post which says: Language software maker Rosetta Stone Inc's trademark infringement lawsuit against Google Inc has been dismissed by a federal judge.Rosetta has vowed to keep pursuing the case which has
- Google Doodles For May Day, Spain's Mother's Day & World Expo China
There was a set of Google Doodles (logos) being placed on Google's international properties this weekend and I figured I'd share them with you. One was on Google Spain, one was on several Google properties for May Day and the other was on Google China/Hong Kong. Here they are with their related forum threads, thanks to Websonic: May Day: Forum discussion at Google Blogoscoped. Mother's Day in Spain: Forum discussion at Google Blogoscoped. World Expo
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: April 30, 2010
This week was a pretty busy search week, with lots of changes going on at Google and some other things happening with those other search engines. This week, like last, I tried the live broadcast at seroundtable.com/live, so please excuse the mess as I work out those kinks. Yahoo Search announced an update, but no one noticed or no one cares. Google UK seemed to turn off the UK filter for a bit. Google changed
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Bing's back links not so useful as they include adsense!, WebmasterWorld
- Techniques to Know Back Links of Other Websites, WebmasterWorld
- Time Sensitive Elements in Universal SERPs, Sphinn
- Big Dump of Links in Google Account? Suspect Million Pound Company, WebmasterWorld
- Known issue: black bars around videos on the channel page player, YouTube Help
- Pros And Cons Of Switching Domain To Non "www", Cre8asite Forums
- Where do you guys get your links?, WebmasterWorld
- Will Likes Replace Links?, Cre8asite Forums