This week was a pretty busy search week, with lots of changes going on at Google and some other things happening with those other search engines. This week, like last, I tried the live broadcast at seroundtable.com/live, so please excuse the mess as I work out those kinks.
Yahoo Search announced an update, but no one noticed or no one cares. Google UK seemed to turn off the UK filter for a bit. Google changed their search interface by adding "pages similar to" and testing "brands for," I go through each and the prods and cons. Did you know that using a 410 over a 404 status code would work faster for you, at least in Google? Bing will update your language preferences after one or two crawls. Google changed their certification for AdWords, plus changed the pricing structure for the AdWords API. Google is also going to phase down the old keyword tool with the new one. There are over one million AdSense publishers. AdSense is testing out new layouts. And Internet Explorer users are more likely to click on your AdSense ads than Firefox, Chrome or Safari users. Google added Earth View to Google Maps, this is cool stuff. Google was down yesterday, I promise. Finally, today is Queensday in the Netherlands - Google has a neat Doodle. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here or to see the YouTube version in higher quality, click play & hit "HD."
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Yahoo Search Update: April 2010, Really?
- Google UK Drop UK Country Filter?
- Google Officially Launches "Pages Similar To" Feature
- Google Showing "Brands For..." In Google Jazz Interface
- Not Only Are 410 Response Codes More Permanent, They Are Faster
- Bing Updates Language Detection After One or Two Crawls
- What's Changing With Google's AdWords Certification & API Quotas?
- Google Dropping External Keyword Tool For New Keyword Tool
- Google Has Over One Million AdSense Publishers
- Google AdSense Tries New Layouts & New Features Ads Light Bulbs
- Internet Explorer Users More Likely To Click On AdSense Ads?
- Google Adds Earth View To Google Maps, Terrain View Moved
- Google Was Down, Says Google & Twitter & Me
- Google's Doodle For Queensday Amsterdam 2010