Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- What Are Google's 200 Search Engine Ranking Factors?
A neat new WebmasterWorld thread is trying to do the impossible by putting down on paper, what exactly are the 200 or so search engine ranking factors used by Google. The thread creator put out a few dozen ranking factors, but there is a way to go here. Think this is a possible task? Even if they do get all the 200 ranking factors down, figuring out the weights assigned to each and how Google
- Snagging Google Maps Reviews From Your Competitors
A Google Maps Help thread has an interesting report of one business having the reviews of another. If you look at the Thomas French, DC, Chiropractor reviews, they look great, but when you look at Dr Keith Overland, it seems like he has reviews for Dr. French. Here are the reviews on Dr. Keith Overland's page, which all reference Dr. French: Two things could of happened here: (1) It could be a technical glitch with
- Banned Google AdWords Accounts Will Likely Never Be Unsuspended
As you know, Google has stepped up disabling and banning AdWords advertisers. The bans result in the advertiser not being able to set up new accounts and Google is stricter about who they ban. In fact, I am getting phone calls and emails from people complaining to me that their accounts are banned (I cannot get accounts unbanned, so please do not call me). There should be an appeals process, but does it work? I
- A Look at Google AdWords Newish Ads
The Google blog is coming clean on the various ad formats they have, outside the standard text ads. Like I did over at Search Engine Land, I will post the various ad formats below. Google Video AdWords Ads: Google AdWords Sitelinks: Google AdWords Local Ads: Google AdWords Local Ads: Google AdWords Product Ads: Google AdWords Comparison Ads: Forum discussion at Sphinn and WebmasterWorld.
- Google AdWords Opens Product Ads To All U.S. Advertisers
The day has come where Google has opened the product ads product to all U.S. advertisers. I believe Google is running two types of product ads, although I am not 100% sure. I believe one is commission based product AdWords ads and the other is normal PPC based product ads. Here is some history: Back in January 2008, Google began testing product (base) results in ads. They continued the test in October 2008 with expandable
- Google Drops "Search within results" Search Box?
Back in March 2008, Google began testing search boxes in the search results, it was later seen more often as Google began to like the tests they have seen from it. Now, it seems like it is gone for most queries. I still see it for a search on new york times, but it is gone for searches like amazon.com or ebay. Here is an older picture of how that looked: Now, this box does
- 85% Required to Pass Google AdWords Professional Exam
A Google AdWords Help thread asks what do you need to score in order to pass the Google AdWords Professional exam? There are two exams: (1) Google Advertising Professionals Exam (2) Fundamentals and Search Exam The first one, the Google Advertising Professionals exam needs an 85% score to pass. Whereas the second one, the Fundamentals and Search exam needs an 80% to pass. AdWordsPro Sarah explained in the thread: I checked with the people in
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Add Favicons to list & expanded view pane, Google Reader Help
- Bing Announces Way To Destroy Your Competitors, HighRankings Forums
- Discussion of the Week: How to use Match Type for maximum return, Google AdWords Help
- Folder Depth, Cre8asite Forums
- How to Use Twitter Lists To Create Reputation Management Problems, Sphinn
- Interviews with Josh Cohen of Google News, WebmasterWorld
- Nude and Explicit Content, Instance of Spam, Google Maps Help
- Post here if your My Map wont save, Google Maps Help
- Tools to Speed Up Your Site – Ready for 2010, Sphinn