Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: November 6, 2009
Google shows about ten Sesame Streets logos over three days for their 40th anniversary. Google, Yahoo, Bing, AOL and others dressed up for Halloween. Google's home page fade adds "this space left blank," and it is ridiculous. AdSense is testing out a new interface. AdWords keeps banning advertisers. We got the detailed November 2009 Google webmaster report. AdWords now officially has Sitelinks. Publishers need to update their Sitemaps for Google News within six months. Google
- Google To Treat .UA Domains as Root Domains Soon
A Google Webmaster Help thread reports that because .UA domains are currently not considered "root domains" by Google, the change of address tool doesn't work for them. I am not sure if Google did not consider them root domains or didn't allow the change of address tool to work with those domains. But Google said, whatever the issue is, it will be fixed soon. Jonathan Simon from Google replied to the thread confirming the issue:
- Google Keeps Banning AdWords Advertisers
Back in late September, Google began mass banning AdWords advertisers. A couple days later, after pushing Google for a response, they offered somewhat of a lame response. I was hoping to see Google come back to the thread and answer more questions, but they did not and it sat. That is until now. A new thread at WebmasterWorld did spark a comment from AdWordsAdvisor. This was about a "one million dollar advertiser" who was banned.
- iPhone OS 3.1.2 Breaks Gmail Push: Not Covered by SLA
In the past few days, many users of the iPhone and Gmail Push service through active sync have been reporting that it is not working. A large Google Mobile Help thread has dozens of posts from unhappy Gmail users. Google confirmed the issue and blamed the iPhone OS 3.1.2 build, which was out just about a month ago. So I am not sure why people are beginning to complain now. Robin from the Google Mobile
- AdWords Keyword Phrase Not Triggering Ads? You May Be Banned
Are you getting a message from the Google AdWords console that reads, "The keyword phrase doesn't currently trigger any of your ads"? If so, that might be a sign that your account is under review and you may be banned soon or currently. A Google AdWords Help thread has an advertiser reporting this issue, where AdWordsPro Sarah said: If this message does not clear up in a few hours, it may be that your account
- Google Really Likes, Really Likes, Sesame Street: Adds Cookie Monster and Ernie & Bert
Google has seven different doodles (logos) on the day of Sesame Street's 40th anniversary. Then yesterday and today, they had two different logos, celebrating the same anniversary. November 5th was Cookie Monster: Today, November 6th is Ernie & Bert: What is Google's obsession with these lovable Sesame Street characters? Forum discussion at Google Web Search Help and Google Webmaster Help.
- Some Keywords in AdWords Ads Diagnostic Tool Require Content Network?
The Google AdWords Help thread has an advertising asking why the Ads Diagnostic tool within the AdWords console is giving off this message: To test this keyword, your campaign must be opted in to the search network. AdWordsPro Sarah, from the Google AdWords team had an interesting response. Let me quote the whole response: I think you are getting this messaging because some of our Tools only work for keywords that are targeted to the
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Draft Microformats – the Future Looks Structured, Sphinn
- How to Save Money on Social SEO Consulting, Sphinn
- Known Issue: bug with video ratings in your account, YouTube Help
- Google Commerce Search, DigitalPoint Forums
- Jeremy Shoemaker (aka Shoemoney) Interview, Sphinn
- Known Issue: Feed processing delays, Google Merchant Center Help
- Local Search Interview With David Mihm, Sphinn
- Meet The Help Forum Top Contributors, Google AdWords Help
- Tampere, Finalnd under heavy clouding, satellite imagery useless, Google Maps Help