Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Local Business Center Update Coming?
The Google Maps Help forums posted an announcement that there will be scheduled downtime this Wednesday, July 29th. The downtime will be between 1pm - 2pm(edt) / 10am-11am(pdt). I assume that after 2pm on Wednesday, we might be in for an updated set of features or a new user interface in the Google Local Business Center. Of course, this is just an assumption, but many people are expecting updates from Google in this area and
- YouTube Video View Counts Freezing at 300 Views?
On Friday, Liz (Googler) at the YouTube support forum posted a thread at the YouTube Help forums about why some videos get stuck at the 300 view mark. Liz explained that when some videos become popular very fast, YouTube takes longer to figure out if those views are legit or not. So it can take several hours for YouTube to update the view counts to reflect the accurate views. Let me quote Liz: Recently we
- Bing July 2009 Update
Not to be outdone by Google, Bing seems to also be updating. I spotted at least three different threads, in three different forums, discussing how these webmasters either had no rankings in Bing prior to the other day and now have excellent rankings or had great rankings and now have poor rankings. This is a clear sign of an update, when you see several different forums discussing this, with so few webmasters actually looking. The
- Small Google July 2009 Update?
There is some discussion in the forums about a potential Google update underway. Keep in mind, the Google results are always in a state of fluctuation, so updates have to be more about how many people are noticing a major shift. Sometimes those shifts are major enough to be considered an update and sometime they are a bit smaller and either impact a large group of sites or represent the onset of a new update
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: July 24, 2009
Google is now looking at location based links for location specific queries. Google might be selecting the wrong title for your site. Is Google penalizing StreamRotator or the porn industry? Bing does geo based location from the meta language tag. Google Webmaster Tools added features. Google should allow multiple verified local business accounts. Yahoo and Microsofts earnings were bad. Yahoo changed up their home page, again. YouTube does 3D videos. Is Google certifying SEOs? We
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Incorrect author in search results, Google News Help
- Adult Entertainment : Still Leading Online Advertising?, Sphinn
- Adwords Support Now Works Weekends, WebmasterWorld
- AP to Tag and Track All of Its Content, WebmasterWorld
- Getting Shut Out of Twitter, A Story of Saving Tweets, Sphinn
- Heads up on PubCon Las Vegas in November, WebmasterWorld
- A week on twitter, WebmasterWorld
- Known Issue - blank Docs list for users in closed domains who have never created a doc, Google Docs Help
- late night show jimmy fallon had a bing search contest, good or bad publicity for bing?, Bing Community
- Why does google latitude not work with Firefox 3.5?, Google Web Search Help