Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- So, How Do You Justify Going to Search Conferences?
I love conferences. Anyone who knows me would know that. I love meeting new people (hint: I'll be liveblogging for Search Engine Roundtable at Pubcon which means I'll likely be sitting in the front row for most sessions. You should say hello!) I love learning new things. A BrightonSEO blog post goes into how the cost can be justified. His points: Learning keeps you ahead of the competition. Tell your boss that evening activities are
- Move the Map Marker on Google Maps: A Screenshot Tour
Using Google's My Maps feature, you can now move the marker exactly where you want people to visit. This is especially useful for me because whenever I check my address on the map, it's about 2 blocks away. Now, I can show people exactly where they need to go. :) Google has announced this feature on the Google LatLong blog but didn't quite walk you through it. That's where I come in. Here's how you
- How to Remove Menu Bar Navigation from Google's Search Results
- PageRank Goes Down but Google Rankings Aren't Affected
After October's Google PageRank massacre, a lot of sites scrambled in hopes of trying to salvage what they had left. Some stopped paid links altogether. Some stopped advertising. One guy audited his site, where he discovered that 20 of 25 paid sites were negatively impacted by the PageRank drop but Google rankings never changed for his customer. Interesting, eh? Actually, some don't find that surprising. Perhaps this was just a wake-up call initially for link
- What's the Difference Between a Subdomain and Domain?
How do search engines handle subdomains in terms of SEO? We've covered this before, but this question comes up every so often and occasionally these things change. On WebmasterWorld, tedster provides a rather interesting perspective about subdomains. I think the whole statement in its entirety deserves repeating: There's no black and white answer, since a subdomain is a kind of hybrid critter. It's treated much more like an independent domain in many respects - for
- Double Check Your Robots.txt: Google Testing New Crawler Directives
Validate your robots.txt - Googlebot becomes smarter from Sebastian reports official confirmation from Google that they are testing out new crawler directives. He explains that adding "Noindex: /" to your robots.txt file will now deindex your complete site. Specifically, Google has told us about the new REP META tags protocol and the X-Robots support a while back, so just be careful with your old tags. Google commented at Sebastian's post saying: Good catch, Sebastian. How
- Google AdSense Clickable Area Change 'Not So Bad'
We gave Early Feedback on Google AdSense Click Area Change where we showed some people calling out that they saw a huge drop in earnings and their click through rate. We also reported some people saying they saw no drop in anything. My statistics seem to show the status quo for now, but it still may be too early to tell. Gabs reported an increase in CTR by 0.5% for a forum that has over
- The "Google OS": Will You Install It?
A DigitalPoint Forums thread is running a little poll to see how many of you would be willing to give the gOS a try? Currently of the 58 responses, 34 said yes and 24 said no. But I wanted to ask our readers, if they would be willing to give it a try on one of their machines. Please take our poll below, so we can get an idea: Google's Matt Cutts is giving it
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Ban lifted finally!, WebmasterWorld
- Do you use Gmail as your Work Email?, DigitalPoint Forums
- MSN adCenter not available for indians?, DigitalPoint Forums
- No results in Live Search Despite ranking in Google, DigitalPoint Forums
- Search Engine Optimization user-friendly Urls - Seo, Cre8asite Forums
- Bug in v11 reports causing missing ID columns - Now fixed, Google Groups
- Google Cached Text Showing Blank, WebmasterWorld
- How to check number of indexed pages in Google, WebmasterWorld
- Real Estate SEO is a Joke, Sphinn
- Rhea Gets Married!!!, Sphinn
- Spam Jail, Desphinns & Other Coming Features, Sphinn
- Yahoo Search Marketing Ambassador Program Designation, HighRankings Forums