Wow, what an excellent question!
I think SEOs have to be better searchers. Why? We know how search engines work, at least we know more about how search engines work when compared to normal searchers. Don't you think Matt Cutts at Google is a better searcher than most SEOs even? He really knows how Google works, more than SEOS. But SEOs know how search engines work more than normal searchers.
- How often do you find yourself using quotes in your searches?
- How often do yourself scanning the paid listings when you are looking to buy things?
- How often do you use site operators in your searches?
- How often do you use time based operators?
- The list goes on, allinanchor, allintitle, special file operators, etc...
We know how to find things things that the ordinary searcher may not be able to find. Of course, it is the search engines goal to make sure the searcher finds what he or she is looking for ever time. So it may not be all that important to be "a better searcher" these days then it was back in the Alta Vista days.
But when it comes down to it.
- I know when to use a generic search engine versus a speciality search engine.
- I know when to use special operators and when to let the search engine do the work.
- I know when to disregard the paid search ads and when to focus on them.
- I know when to consult Gary Price for help and when not to
What an excellent topic!
Forum discussion at Cre8asite Forums.