Google Panda Leading To Web Site Content Purging

Aug 22, 2011 • 8:30 am | comments (10) by twitter Google+ | Filed Under Google Search Engine Optimization
 

PandaA WebmasterWorld thread has SEOs and webmasters discussing the fact that some of them have removed 75% or more of their content from their web site or is planning to based on all the changes with the Google algorithm related to the Panda algorithm.

Now that Panda has rolled out bilingually, it is now affecting more and more webmasters.

Webmasters are seeking advice from those who have "recovered" over the past couple months and most of those said they have deleted or blocked the content that seemed less useful to their users.

One SEO named the Panda update as leading to the "Great Purge" of the web.

Webmasters are asking:

What do you think would happen if I removed 70% of all pages on one of my websites? Those pages are filled with content of lower quality than the remaining 30%, and they don't receive any traffic (minor).

Some said they did that already:

I've just cut 50 000 pages away: low content, and duplicate content issues.

A combination of 301 for moved pages, and 410 for pages permanently gone, has worked wonders.

Google has taken many months to take it all in, and I guess it will take another couple. Nearing the end of it, overall traffic and page views per visit are all up.

For more on Panda, see our Panda category.

Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.

Previous story: Google Adds Document On Rich Snippet Missing Questions
 

Comments:

brianmorganDotorg

08/22/2011 12:53 pm

Do you believe this is only for sites with 1,000+ pages or so? 

Noumaan Yaqoob

08/22/2011 01:27 pm

I believe that every piece of original content whether or not it is useful to visitors is important and should be preserved. I don't mind if Google updates their algorithms and decides not to show these pages in search results if they are not relevant to the query. For example most of my Diary pages might not be useful to many people. But they do contain information and have a value, so I wouldn't delete those pages. 

marknunney

08/22/2011 02:05 pm

I like the 'Great Purge'. Someone should be credited. If the pages are useless anyway a purge is good. If they are of no use then noindex might be good enough. One Googler has suggested noindex/follow for Panda but that doesn't mean it is good enough to exclude those pages from Panda'a calculations.  

Nick Stamoulis

08/22/2011 02:40 pm

I think site owners are starting to see the light. It doesn't matter how big your site is if half of the pages are filled with low quality content. Sometimes pages can be rewritten or combined to make them more useful. Sometimes they just need to be dropped!

Sebastian Schuon

08/22/2011 04:00 pm

We went down from 200k pages to just 20k and survived Panda just well. Competitors of ours with the same number of pages in the index got hit by Panda and lost half of there traffic. There could be some truth to the 'Great Purge'...

Salvatore Surra

08/22/2011 06:00 pm

The Panda is too fat and wants to go on a diet. Stop feeding the Panda.

Perfect Search Media

08/22/2011 07:19 pm

I wouldn't necessarily do a major overhaul.  I'd start with whatever your top trafficked pages were prior to you losing traffic and make sure those are full of unique and useful content.  Also, removing duplicate title tags should be a quick and easy fix.

Tobey

08/22/2011 10:45 pm

This might happen if you don't cut out the fat: http://www.advia.com.au/funny/google-panda-update-avoid-duplicate-content

Rajk

08/22/2011 11:00 pm

What if 'my home page title is repeat rest of page as well like :- home >wemaster site About> about 'webmaster site' Article > article title 'webmaster site' So this kind of repeat matter??

john lewis uk

08/23/2011 08:13 am

I didn't change content of my site, i just changed my techniques. As the Panda rule out i start focusing more on content and am giving only one link now in Author bio. In the beginning my keywords goes down but with the passage of time they got their position back.

blog comments powered by Disqus