It was an incredibly busy month in the Google SEO/Webmaster world. Besides for Google announcing the spam algorithm, explaining about Panda's slower rollouts, releasing a new mobile ranking factor and pushing out a multi-week update, we've also seen a ton of chatter around a few updates in the past 30 days.
In fact, with this multi-week update, all the Google volatility tools are lighting up over the past few days. Here are screen shots from them:
Mozcast has been really hot for the past several days, which is not the norm:
SERPs.com is showing more volatility than normal over the past days:
SERP Metrics also is warmer than the average day recently:
A new tracker, Algoroo, also shows hot patterns recently:
But the main thing is that the ongoing WebmasterWorld thread does indeed have chatter. It is holiday weekend and pre-holiday weekend chatter but nevertheless, SEOs and webmasters feel something is going on. One webmaster said:
There's definitely a lot of flux, and it's in the head terms. We're seeing a significant amount of one to three position drops. Luckily visits and sales are mostly unaffected, thanks to long-tails.
So maybe that multi-week update has settled down as promised. I just wish Google would tell us more about it.
For the rest of the more important topics over the past 30 days:
- Google Spam Algorithm For Spammy Queries: Pay Day Loans+
- Google's Matt Cutts: Multi-Week Update Rolling Out
- MozCast Shows Huge Google Update But SEOs Don't Agree
- Google Search May Be Updating...
- A Google Update Kicking Into Gear Now?
- Google Takes Stance On Mobile SEO: Site Not Mobile Friendly, You Won't Rank Well.
- Matt Cutts: Google Panda Updated Monthly But Slowly Rolled Out
- Search Spammers Admit Defeat After Spam Algorithm But Vow To Return
- Black Hats Mock Google's Matt Cutts With Payday Loan Hack
- Matt Cutts: Stock Images Currently Don't Impact Rankings But We'll Look Into It
- Google Webmaster Tools Cleans Up Navigation & More
- Screen Shots Of The New Google Webmaster Tools Structured Data Error Report
- Example URLs Now In Google Webmaster Tools Notifications
- Google Language Change: Content That Gets Used & Shared, Not Linked To.
- Google's Matt Cutts: Disavow Can Help With Penguin
- Can You Test The Google Disavow Tool?
- Google's Matt Cutts: Wildcard Support Not Planned For Google Disavow Tool
- Google Links Reconsideration Request FAQs
- Google's Matt Cutts On Disavow Tool Mistakes
- Ten Google Sitelinks For Domain Searches
- Google News Cards: New Google News OneBox
- Google Removes "Quick View" Option In Mobile Results
If you missed last month's recap, read the June 2013 Google Webmaster Report.
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.