Fetch As GoogleBot Failure Reports

Nov 17, 2011 • 8:26 am | comments (4) by twitter Google+ | Filed Under Google Search Engine Optimization
 

Google WebmasterA Google Webmaster Help thread has several webmasters complaining that the fetch as GoogleBot feature is not working.

I should note it works fine for me, but several webmasters are saying that when they run it, it returns a red X and says "failure."

John Mueller from Google responded to the thread saying:

We're looking into this and should have some feedback for you guys soon. Thanks for your patience.

This does not seem to be an issue with every site but only a select number. How large that number is, is the big question.

So just a heads up that if the fetch as GoogleBot tool doesn't work for you, you are not alone.

Forum discussion at Google Webmaster Help.

Previous story: Google Music Now Serious iTunes Competitor?
 

Comments:

Josh Closser

11/24/2011 01:20 am

Good Evening (at this time) :) I have made a post, seeing this has been a rising issue lately, If you use google analyticator this fix will work for you. I have written a post on how to fix the problem, you can read here: http://www.joshclosser.com/2011/11/23/fetch-googlebot-failed-fix-2031180.jsp Short URL: http://goo.gl/unrru

Matthew Shuey

08/09/2012 04:23 am

Google Fetch seems to be intermittent. Googlebot seems to crawl just fine.

Josh Closser

08/17/2012 06:28 pm

Yeah, the sop i made back then was wrong on some of the settings, I didn't get around to fixing the settings to a t. *However I did notice, that it seems to bug out when you try fetching a 2nd option before the first fetch-page-reload completes. eg: fetch website, fetch as phone, fetch as chtml - clicking fetch again before the previous has finished created bugs for me. I have waited for the page load to complete since then :)

Andrew Buckle

12/12/2013 05:37 pm

works occasionally - recently it seems to fail a lot. Used to be a useful tool

blog comments powered by Disqus