Sorry for missing last week, I was in Germany but I covered the past two weeks in this short video. Google confirmed there was a Panda update about two weeks ago. There was more chatter of an other update on June 16th which Google shot down. Rae interviewed several link experts and I summarized the general consensus. Google partially removes penalties. Google said you can use the nofollow for crawl prioritization. Google said a fantastic web site is not enough to rank. Google algorithms look for natural links. Removed all the links you can, then submit a reconsideration request and specify the links you can't remove. Google is testing a top down navigation, maybe we will see more ads? Google said 9,500 web sites are infected daily with 12-14 million searches per day showing a hacked site warning. Google explains that words in file names and on the page can trigger SafeSearch filter. Google AdWords launched a new interface design and added a way to target mobile apps. 25% of SEO companies said they should not be penalized for what they do on client sites. I then ramble on how the SEO community is divided. Finally, happy fathers day to all those fathers out there. That was this past (two) weeks at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Confirmed: Google Panda 3.7 Update
- June 16th Google Update? Google Says No.
- Link Experts: Google Hostility, Links Less Important, Not Worried About Bad Links
- Link Incentives Are Against Google's Webmaster Guidelines
- Google Partially Removes Penalties
- Google: Nofollow Can Be Used For Crawl Prioritization
- Google: Fantastic Web Sites Not Enough To Rank Well
- Google Algorithms Look For Natural Links
- 85% Of Inorganic Links Removed? Google: Submit A Reconsideration Request
- Google Tests New User Interface: Top Down Navigation
- Google: 9,500 Website Infected Each Day With Malware
- Naked In The File Name Of Your Image? Google Images May Block It
- Google AdWords Launches New Interface
- Google AdWords Now With Mobile App Targeting
- 25% Say SEO Companies Shouldn't Be Penalized For Bad SEO Tactics
- SEOs Are No Longer United & I Blame The NoFollow
- Happy Father's Day Logo From Google