This week in search, we covered how Google practically just confirmed the Fred update at SMX. Google explained that those Phantom updates are basically core algorithm updates. Google’s mobile first index is still in the works and won’t launch until the results are quality neutral said Gary Illyes. Google’s top stories algorithm is algorithmic, not a manual inclusion thing. Google responded to the allegations that a former Googler is spamming them. Google AdWords expanded what “close variants” are, which upset many advertisers. Google added in controls for advertisers to control where there ads are showing. Even after that, AT&T, Verizon and others dropped their ads from Google. Google is testing larger product listing ads. Google My Business has automated the ownership conflict process. Google Local is showing reviews with emojis. Google Local listings also show top ten X with the Guardian logo and others. Google mobile search has aded tappable shortcuts. Google says hacked sites are up 32% year over year. Google had their annual Google Dance and it was awesome. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google May Have Confirmed The Fred Algorithm Update
- Google: Phantom Updates Are Core Algorithm Update
- Google Mobile First Index Will Launch When Results Are "Quality Neutral"
- Google's Top Stories Inclusion Is Algorithmic, No Manual Inclusion
- Google Responds To Allegations Of Former Googler Spamming
- Google AdWords Upsets Advertisers By Expanding Meaning Of Close Variants
- Google Adds Placement Controls For Advertisers
- Advertisers Continue To Drop Google Ads Even After Google Makes Changes
- Google Tests Larger Product Listing Shopping Ads
- Google My Business Automated Ownership Conflict
- Google Local Business Reviews With Emojis
- Google Local Reviews With Guardian Top Ten Icon
- Google Mobile Search Adds Tappable Shortcuts
- Google: Rate Of Hacked Sites Up 32% & Will Continue To Grow
- Google Dance 2017 A Huge Success