Last week, Google posted advice on their Google Webmaster Central blog on How to move your content to a new location.
This is not the first time Google offered this advice, they did so in 2008.
The short list for tips on moving a site from location A to location B include:
- Redirect on a one to one basis each URL using a 301 when relevant.
- Verify both the old and new site in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Make sure GoogleBot can access the new site.
- Use the change of address feature in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Check for 404 errors, broken links and missing pages.
- Update, verify and submit your new XML sitemap file(s).
- Notify those who link to you that you've moved.
- Do it slowly and move parts of the site, if possible.
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.
Image credit to ShutterStock for moving image