Yesterday Google announced on Google+ the next version of Google Glass software XE8. This new version brings many new features for users and developers but also seems to have lost one feature that I like.
What's New With XE8 For Developers
Google's Alain Vongsouvanh share a lot of detail that was not specifically mentioned by Google Glass in their announcement. Specifically:
- Voice commands: you can now invoke a Glassware with "Take a note" or "Post an update": more will be coming!
- HTML Pagination: you can now let Glass auto-paginate your long article and no longer have to guess where to cut the page.
- VIEW_WEBSITE menu item: you can now open the browser from your timeline item.
- PLAY_VIDEO menu item: this lets you style your video timeline card with HTML and let the user drills into the video with the menu item.
What's New With XE8 For Users
- Google Now on Glass: Restaurants, hotels, events, movies, emergency alerts also show up on Glass
- New voice commands: “Post an update” (first supported by Path), and “Take a note” (first supported by Evernote).
- Video Player Controls: You can click to play, click to stop, fast forward by swiping and rewind, etc.
- Volume card in Settings: but you can't make it any louder, which is a huge disappointment.
- Check your timeline while in a video call
- Navigation Menu: New contextual voice commands for Navigation such as Show route overview, Hide route overview and Stop directions
- Add a caption by voice after taking a picture or video and add hashtags by voice.
What Do I Miss
It seems I can not longer use iPhoto to download photos I've taken with Glass. With XE 6 you were not able to use iPhoto with Glass. With XE 7 you were and I was able to view, download and delete photos via iPhoto. Now with XE 8, I can no longer do so.
Update: So it turns out the iPhoto thing only works with the USB cable provided by Google. Other USB cables do power the device, I tried 4 different ones, but don't show up as a drive in iPhoto or on my mac.
Forum discussion at Google+.