A WebmasterWorld thread has SEOs and Webmasters discussing what Google expects or wants to see from a reconsideration request for link issues.
Whitey summarized what must be done to earn Google's "link trust."
- Make multiple "take down" requests to sites referring "bad links" to your website.
- Keep documentation of those efforts.
- Clearly articulate, and if possible evidence efforts, that you are serious about removing those links to Google, in any future reconsideration request
- When you have made 2 or 3 attempts to take down those links, then use the disavow tool
- Send your reconsideration request in.
Here is that video:
I am a bit surprised so much has to go into it and that you simply cannot rely on the disavow tool. I bet in the future, the disavow tool will be enough.
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.
Image credit to BigStockPhoto for heavy work