Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Adds Sidewiki Control to Google Webmaster Tools
If you login to your verified web sites at Google Webmaster Tools and go to the "labs" section, you may notice a new feature to help you control your Sidewiki messages. Here is a picture: The feature basically let's you control the message you show to users who use that Google Sidewiki within the Google Toolbar. In the past, webmasters had to use the Google Toolbar to add a site owner message. Danny has a
- Google Maps Avoid Tolls Feature May Cost You
There are some reports at the Google Maps Help forum that the "avoid tolls" feature for Google Maps driving directions does not always work right. The issue spans as far as Australia and as close as Pennsylvania. Brian B., a Googler, from the Google Maps help forum said: Just wanted to give an update here that there are folks looking into this "avoid tolls" issue, and I'll post an update here when there's a resolution.
- The Google 7 Day Index Delay?
There is a new Google theory going around, possibly a penalty or possibly a Google bug - no one is sure. There are a couple threads on the topic, one at HighRankings Forums and Google Webmaster Help. In short, webmasters are claiming that they will post content and it would take seven full days for Google to index the content and rank it in the search engine. I can't seem to replicate this on any
- .TV Domains Can't Set Crawl Rate in Google Webmaster Tools
A Google Webmaster Help thread reports that there is an issue with some domains setting the crawl rate in Google Webmaster Tools. The report came in from an owner of a .TV domain. The person said: I have registered www.themediagroup.tv and themediagroup.tv with Webmaster tools and I want to change the crawl rate. But I keep getting an error 'Setting is restricted to root level domains only'. JohnMu from Google confirmed the issue and said:
- AdSense Data Link With Google Webmaster Tools Failure
A Google Webmaster Help thread has confirmed reports of an issue with authenticated your site via Google Webmaster Tools to allows AdSense's bot to crawl password protected sections of the web site. One of the steps of authenticating AdSense to allow the AdSense crawler to access pages that are behind a login is to verify your site with Google Webmaster Tools. The data feed to pass over the authentication authorization between Webmaster Tools and AdSense
- SMX West 2010 Live Blogging Recap
The past three days was three days filled with great SEO and SEM related content from the SMX West show. I am happy to say we had two outstanding and giving volunteer bloggers to help bring a piece of the show to you via this site. Keri Morgret of Strike Models and Brian Ussery of Beu Blog spent a tremendous amount of time and energy live blogging the event. Please give them a huge thank
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Adwords Quality Score - The Ultimate Advertisers Guide, Sphinn
- How to Generate Massive Passive Inbound Links, Sphinn
- I am unable to set the crawl rate for my root level subdomains, Google Webmaster Help
- Is it true that Google prefers a web hosting server to be in the same city/province as the actual company?, Google Webmaster Help
- Google Sync Maintenance Outage, March 4, Google Mobile Help