Watching the search news yesterday was pretty interesting. First, there were tons of rumors that Microsoft will be integrating Twitter data into Bing. Then the news broke on that where Bing confirmed the news. It launched, in limited form, at bing.com/twitter.
Yes, Twitter is licensing out the "firehose" of the tweets to search engines. Bing was doing something like this on a limited basis with Twitter in Bing search on some searches. Yahoo was/is reportedly in similar negotiations with Twitter as well.
In summary, clearly the search engines find the content within Twitter to be valuable. For more on this topic, see the stream of reports from Search Engine Land:
- Google Social Search Is Coming & More On Google-Twitter
- Live Blog: Marissa Mayer Speaking At Web 2.0
- Google & Twitter Have A Deal, Too
- Live Blog: Qi Lu Speaking At Web 2.0
- Up Close With Bing’s Twitter Search Engine
- Bing To Do Deal With Twitter, Launch Its Own Twitter Search