Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- 87% Won't Allow Google To Manage Their AdWords Accounts
On Friday we ran a poll asking Would You Allow Google to Manage Your AdWords Account? I am honestly not surprised by the answer, where an overwhelming majority of the responses were basically, "no way!" In short, people feel that the Google AdWords representatives who manage accounts in Google for advertisers cannot do as good as a job as an SEM company or someone who manages it themselves. Just take a look at the pie
- Google, How Are "Business Web Design" & "Semi Repair" Related Keywords?
Let's file this under weird or unexpected search results from Google. A search for business website design] returns one of those middle of the page Google refinements. The weird part is what Google returns as a refinement for that search. Google returns the keyword, [semi repair]. What does semi repair have to do with business website design? Here is a picture of the page: Why is this the case? No one really knows, but Googler
- How Google Treats Affiliates In Web Search?
There is a featured WebmasterWorld thread on the topic of how Google treats affiliate links and if there are ways to hide your affiliate links from Google. There is discussion that Google will lower your rank of a web page, if it has an affiliate link on that page. I honestly do not know if that is a true statement. The typical issue with affiliate links, is not the link, but the fact that Google
- Yahoo Partners With Google, Not Microsoft on UK's BT Portal
BT.com, a major UK portal, was powered by Yahoo Search, but is now being powered by Google Search. Why is this a big deal? Well, the portal is a partnership of some sort between Yahoo and BT, i.e. it is hosted at bt.yahoo.com. Now we all know that Yahoo and Microsoft have made a big deal, where Microsoft will hopefully take control of all of Yahoo's search technology and power that side of their business.
- Tip: Don't Spam Official Search Engine Forums
I never understand it when I see trolls come into forums, owned and managed daily by search engine representatives, and spam them. It is clear that these forums are crawling with people who can seriously impact your site's ranking in that search engine - but they are clueless to that fact? Two recent examples for you: (1) A Bing Forum thread discusses one member who has been just spamming the forum with link drops to
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- gmail.com/app doesn't work, Google Mobile Help
- Adobe to Acquire Omniture, WebmasterWorld
- Effect Of Recession On Website Traffic, HighRankings Forums
- Google Drop Down Suggestions - Usage Numbers?, WebmasterWorld
- What Is The Deal With Being 'reported' For Spamming, HighRankings Forums
- Why You Can’t Dismiss All Directory Links, Sphinn