Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Enhanced 404 Feature Gone?
In August 2008, Google released what was called the enhanced 404 widget that allowed webmasters to easily create custom 404 pages. In fact, we still have a sample of this in action at advertize.html. But for some reason, I think Google removed the feature from the Google Webmaster Tools section. As a Google Webmaster Help thread discusses, he can't find it in the Webmaster Tools section. I looked for several minutes and I also cannot
- Getting Listed In Bing News
You know how to get listed in Google News but what about Bing News? A Bing Community thread has discussion around that topic. Brett Yount from the Bing Webmaster Center said the way to be included in Bing News is a manual process. You simply need to email email@example.com and wait to hear back. What if you don't hear back? Brett suggests emailing again: There should be confirmation from the review team. If you did
- Michael Jackson Fans Upset With Google Over "Ugliest Person in the World"
If you conduct a Google search for ugliest person in the world today, you will see Google listing a picture of the late Michael Jackson. Here is a picture I took from this morning of the search results: As virtually everyone knows, Michael Jackson died on June 25th and the memorial service was yesterday. The popularity of Jackson, especially right now, with how Google ranks documents, has likely lead to Jackson's picture being listed as
- Google Chrome, The Operating System
Rumors of Google building an operating system has been nothing new, but confirmation that they are building an operating system is something new. Google confirmed that a Google OS named Google Chrome OS, is coming in the second half of 2010. The OS will be first a light weight OS designed for Netbooks, not it is not Android. You can read about it at the Google Blog and all the billions of news items at
- Google AdSense Site Authentication Control Bug
There seems to be a persistent bug with the site authentication tool in the Google AdSense publisher controls. Some publishers are complaining about errors being returned when trying to use the feature. There is a Google AdSense Help thread that says the issue has been happening for about a week now. Google said it was fixed, but some publishers are still complaining about it not working. One posted the error: Error We apologize for the
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- 8 Short Steps To Project, Forecast, Estimate and Predict SEO ROI, Sphinn
- International SEO Made Easy, Sphinn
- Which Came First, the Traffic or the Search Engine Rankings?, Sphinn
- AdWords Downtime: July 11, 10am-2pm PDT, Google Groups
- Gmail and Apps Finally Come Out Of Beta, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google has Malicious software!!!, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google leaves Beta, WebmasterWorld
- YSlow Updated for Firefox 3.5, WebmasterWorld