Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Mobile Maps New Street Views & Walking Directions Not 100%
Are you a heavy user of Google Maps for Mobile? Google has announced that both Street View and Walking Directions have been added to the handheld application. If you want to see it in action, go to google.com/gmm from your mobile browser and then download the application for your phone. While this is promising and I'd love to see it myself, some forum members are reporting issues with street view. There are three separate reports
- Some Insights into Image Optimization for Search
Earlier this month, Bill Slawski wrote about how search engines use images to rank web pages. He explains that search engines often look at text, alt tags, and similar contextual elements to rank images. He also refers to a Microsoft patent that uses image scores to aid in rankings. This system considers the contents of an image (whether it has a person, is a photograph or not, etc.) with its position on a page and
- Is it Time for Another SEO Break?
Last year, Matt McGee wrote the 2007 version of 21 reasons why you need a break from SEO. This year, Matt shares 21 more reasons why you may need to take your SEO break. Reasons include: * searching for social media avatar photographers (instead of wedding photographers) * having your spouse keep track of your conference schedule (and adding SEX to the calendar!) * communicating with your spouse via blogs * finding marketing potential for
- Survey Says: United Airlines (UAL) Stock Price Drop Blamed On
About a week ago, we asked Who's To Blame? Google or Tribune for United Airlines Stock Drop. We unfairly only gave really two options, Google or the Tribune. When I posted the poll, many (16%) responded with the "other" option, citing either the brokers are to blame and reporters are to blame for not doing proper research. True, there are many to blame for this. But let me share with you the full results: ::
- Does Google Limit The Amount AdSense Publishers Can Earn?
Ever since Google launched their AdSense contextual ad program, publishers had a theory that Google had a cap on how much publishers can make. Some believe the cap is a certain dollar amount, some believe it is an equation based on percentages and some don't believe in this cap, at all. A WebmasterWorld thread has recent discussion around the AdSense Glass Earnings Ceiling theory. If you read the thread, some swear by Google instituting a
- The Google Link Conundrum Summed Up
Buy links, trade links, sell links, request links, links, links, links - what does an SEO or webmaster do? You can't live without them, you can't live with them. A WebmasterWorld thread has a fun thread that somewhat sums up the "conundrum" SEOs and webmasters are in, when it comes to building link popularity. Here is the post that sums it up for many SEOs: We're paying an SEO firm some big bucks. They have
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- AdWords - Playing with Google Trademark Detection, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Google climbdown on abortion ads, WebmasterWorld
- Google Defends Ad Prices in Yahoo-Google Deal, WebmasterWorld
- Google Labs Tests Audio Search in YouTube Videos, WebmasterWorld
- Google Referrals - massive problems, Search Engine Roundtable Forums
- Image Captions Help Image Rank?, HighRankings Forums
- Search engine rankings are NOT useless, Sphinn
- Top Search Engine Marketing Tools, Sphinn