Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Microsoft adCenter Updates Keyword Research Tools
On the Microsoft adCenter blog, we're informed that there is a brand new "keyword research tool to help you more efficiently find keywords and plan campaigns in adCenter." The tool will provide suggested keywords, the ability to add keywords to an ad group, and also provides "audience insights" which are demographic tools. All of these additions sound great, but the demographic information should be especially useful! Forum discussion continues at WebmasterWorld.
- Google Solicits Webmaster Help for Popular Picks Thread
A few months ago, we reported on Google Popular Picks -- topics that webmasters are interested in but may not have an "official" voice from the Google Webmaster Team (yet!). In a Google Groups thread, the Google team asks webmasters again what they want Google to answer questions for. The rules are simple: have a topic in mind that will benefit webmasters everywhere, don't focus on any specific website issue, and avoid in-depth discussions. So
- FeedBurner Subscriber Stats Having Major Issues
Several Google Groups threads have been created in the last two weeks from disgruntled members who are running into issues with Feedburner In particular, their subscriber numbers are plummeting, which often occurs when Feedburner stops recording a service (and which Feedburners are somewhat used to at this time). But lately, forum members are also complaining about their subscriber numbers dropping completely -- to zero. Feedburner has stayed mum about any acknowledgment of the problem, but
- Google AdSense Stops Displaying on Google Cache Results?
A WebmasterWorld thread reports that many publishers have started to notice that their Google AdSense ads are not showing up when someone accesses their pages via the Google cache. For example, a recent Google cache copy of my personal blog does not show the AdSense ad at the top right of my blog. It simply does not render on the page. Typically, it would show to the right of the linkedin logo. Some theories are
- Google Ad Manager Opens to All Publishers
Google's ad serving tool, Google Ad Manager (google.com/admanager/), which launched as a beta in March is now open to all publishers. If you are a publisher using OpenAds, OpenX, phpAdsNew or a similar product, you may want to strongly consider switching to this free hosted platform. I personally use it on this site and I have incredibly happy with Google Ad Manager for a long time. Why? (1) I don't have to worry about my
- Is Google Changing Their Search Results HTML To Mess with Scrapers?
We have been covering the issues with search ranking checkers since beginning of this month. At first, we thought it might be related to WebPosition Gold only, but it was not, it impacted most, if not all, scraper based rank checking tools, checking Google's search results. A week ago, WebPosition Gold hinted that a fix is coming to their software, despite that Google hates rank checkers. But no fix has come yet, as far as
- Google AdWords Marking "Great" Quality Scores as "OK"?
Google announced that the quality score metrics are more real time based on a per-query level, now. Not that this has been implemented on everyone's campaigns yet, but it will happen soon enough. Since then, advertisers have been noticing anomalies with the quality score being reported by Google. For example, a minimum bid of $0.05 typically had a "Great" quality score in AdWords. But now people are seeing a quality score as marked as "OK."
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- India Seo/'forum Link Building', Cre8asite Forums
- Google Suggest And Its Effects, Cre8asite Forums
- Should a SEO Company Declare Its "SEO Code of Ethics"?, Sphinn
- Top SEO blogs: The Ultimate Rank, Sphinn
- 6 Unique Ways to Get Instant Links to Your Site, Sphinn
- AdWords API Ruby Client Library 12.1.0, Google Groups
- Are inbound links Important Right Now?, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Firefox referral finally retired today, WebmasterWorld
- I'm About To Find Out The Importance Of Page Title, Cre8asite Forums
- Link Building and the 6 Principles of Persuasion, Sphinn
- Statistics - Top Search Queries - Top Clicked Queries in Arabic, Google Groups
- Tip of the Week #3: The New & Improved Keyword Tool, Google Groups