Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: August 8, 2008
The Olympics start today and Google, Yahoo, Ask.com and the Search Engine Roundtable have special logos up for the event. Google launched Insights for Search. Google begins to track your web surfing via DoubleClick cookies. Yahoo Search had a major update. Live relaunched Webmaster Tools. SEOs are split on buying nofollowed links and do like blog links. Google blocked ranking software. Performics has been sold off. Do the best SEOs offer consulting? AdWords is performing
- The Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics & The Search Engine Industry
The 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China start officially today. To celebrate the day, Google, Yahoo and Ask.com all have logos and themes up. We also have our theme up, we hope you like it. Here is the Google Logo: Here is Yahoo's animated logo: Here is the Ask.com theme: Dogpile and Live Search do not have themes. It would have been nice to see a custom background with Olmypic "hotspots," maybe next year.
- What Exactly Happens During Google AdSense Maintenance?
Yesterday, AdSenseAdvisor posted on WebmasterWorld that there would be an outage for Google AdSense tomorrow, August 9th, between 10AM and 2PM PDT. Ad serving isn't affected but AdSense addicts won't be able to check their accounts. Usually, these announcement threads go unanswered. This time, though, someone asked the details behind such a maintenance procedure. At first, AdSenseAdvisor gave the generic answer: "our engineers carry out all the tasks required to keep our systems running as
- Google AdWords API Version 11 To Be Discontinued August 26th
In March, Google released AdWords API v12 and is finally discontinuing version 11. This will occur on August 26, 2008. Migration from API v11 to v12 should be relatively straightforward. Jeffrey Posnick of the AdWords API team recommends that you read the documentation for any questions. Of course, Google Groups is available should you have any additional follow-up inquiries. Forum discussion continues at Google Groups.
- Live Search Greatly Improves Webmaster Tools But Webmasters Don't Give a Hoot
Microsoft has spent a considerable amount of time and resources building out enhanced features to the Live Search Webmaster Tools. They announced releasing the new features this week, but it has gone, pretty much, unnoticed in the SEO and webmaster community forums. I won't go through all the features of the tool, Vanessa Fox has done that at Search Engine Land, but I will discuss the lack of discussion around this launch. There has been
- Advertisers Are Happy But Scared Over New Google / DoubleClick Cookie Tracking
Yesterday Google announced that they will utilizing the DoubleClick cookie-based tracking technology to bring more targeted ads and better targeting features to adveristers. You can read most the blog and news commentary via Techmeme. The features are simple: Frequency Capping to enable advertisers to say, show my ad to this specific user only X times.Frequency Reporting so advertisers can see the frequency data.Google says this will provide "Improved Ads Quality."And better conversion tracking with "View-Through
- Did More Google AdSense Publishers Get the Ad Review Center?
There are several threads at DigitalPoint Forums around the topic of seeing the "new" AdSense Ad Review Center. The thing is, the Ad Review Center is not new, at least not to me and many others. I assume that maybe it was a US roll-out until now and now Google has been rolling out this feature more globally. Google began testing this feature back in December of 2007, we then received confirmation that this feature
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Are Mutliple Sites Bad For Seo, HighRankings Forums
- The Adolescence of SEO, Sphinn
- Alexa is Becomeing Completely Worthless, Sphinn
- Does more content actually boost rankings?, WebmasterWorld
- Google admits its AOL investment may be impaired, WebmasterWorld
- Google Copyright Lawyer Nukes His Blog, DigitalPoint Forums
- Results 1 - 51 of about 1, WebmasterWorld
- StumbleUpon is Removing the 200 Friend Limit, Sphinn
- Why no Live Chat support from Google Adsense Team?, DigitalPoint Forums
- Yahoo Looks at Search BOSS Applications, WebmasterWorld