Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Is Google AdSense Safe on a Government Website?
Let's say you hosted a government website with over 1 million visitors monthly. You'd probably want to monetize it. What about considering Google AdSense? It's a possibility; the contextual ads are likely to be well-targeted. Thousands of websites employ Google AdSense to make some money off their content, so it's not unheard of to try this in the government sector. The question, though, is what happens if some sketchy ads from undesirable businesses or bogus
- How Does Google Handle Hacked Sites?
Matt Cutts blogged about how Google keeps its index clean by deindexing hacked sites. In his post, he explains that hacked sites can be detrimental to the search experience especially if malware is hosted there and is installed on a visitor's computer. Therefore, Google takes preventative measures to remove those sites so that visitor machines are not inadvertently compromised in any way. Matt explains that Google also sends numerous reports to the webmaster of the
- Opera Not Supported By Google Custom Search
After much frustration with Google's Custom Search Engine, it seems that Google's CSE doesn't actually support the Opera web browser. Apparently, when Opera users try to set up the Google custom search engine, they fill in all forms, hit save, but nothing happens. AdSensePro eventually weighs in on the desperate forum discussion and says that Opera is not a recommended browser: Our engineers have investigated, and inform me that this is an issue with Opera.
- Is Microsoft & Siemens Teaming Up in Europe Against Google?
I have been tracking a very sensitive thread at High Rankings Forum for the past several days. The original thread creator is fairly cryptic in his details, due to privacy reasons, but I think I have a grasp of what is going on. Again, I might be wrong, but I think I might be right. Here it goes... It appears that Siemens, the huge technology engineering company based in Europe is teaming up with Microsoft
- Does Google Support The Abbreviations and Acronyms Tags?
Did you know that there are specific HTML markup tags for abbreviations and acronyms? Did you know that people sometimes use them? A Google Groups thread asks if Google actually uses these tags for indexing purposes? The example given in the thread is if Google would understand the following tag: <acronym title="Cable News Network">CNN</acronym> Would Google understand that CNN is an acronym for Cable News Network based on this tag? Furthermore, would Google understand the
- Google AdWords API Video Ad Support Delayed
A couple weeks ago, we reported that Video Ad Support Comes To Google AdWords API Sandbox. We now have an update from Jeff Posnick, a Google AdWords API representative in the Google Groups thread. In short, due to a mistake in pushing out the new API update, they forgot to push the video ad support changes live. It looks like the video ad support feature will have to wait until the next minor release of
- May 2008 Yahoo Search Subtle Update
Yahoo Search typically does a search update once a month. Yahoo has announced last night that they have pushed out a new update that may result in "ranking changes and page shuffling in the index." Did we, the Search Engine Roundtable, miss early signs of this update? Possibly. I was tracking a thread at WebmasterWorld started by senior member, BillyS, who noticed a major traffic surge via Yahoo for a very short amount of time.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Advanced Link: Operator to Explore Your Competitor's Backlinks, Sphinn
- AdWords - Automatic Matching Mystery, Search Engine Watch Forums
- AdWords down - can't login, WebmasterWorld
- Are WE Just Animals Using Social Media, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Citysearch Sued for Click Fraud, WebmasterWorld
- Content campaigns - site targetting as default, Google Groups
- Google Defends Actions in Front of Viacom Lawsuit, WebmasterWorld
- Google has indexed our IP address?, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google's Plans to Expand into Travel, Sphinn
- Huge Error in API v12?, Google Groups
- Interview of Neil Patel, Social Media Marketing Legend, Sphinn
- Microsoft's New Online Advertising Brand: 'Microsoft Advertising', WebmasterWorld
- SEOmoz's Web 2.0 Awards, Sphinn
- What To Do With Google Image Traffic, DigitalPoint Forums